"Michael's Globetrekking " MLW20's Profile

I love to explore the world as much as time and money permits. When going to new places I like to learn about the local cultures, take lots of pictures, check out the architecture, visit rain forests and try local food among other thing

A little about me...

I live in Brooklyn, NY with my wife Kim. We got married April 2005. I like to workout, go bike riding, watch reality TV-(Survivor, The Amazing Race), watch baseball- Let's Go Mets, go to the movies,play poker and TRAVEL.

Adventure Travel

A little adventure is always fun when visiting new places. Some things that I have done are

1-Canopy Tour in the Tijuaca Forest- Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

2-Auckland Harbour Bridge Climb- Auckland, NZ

3-Caving Trip-Tumu Tumu Toobing- Waitomo, NZ

4-Canyoning & Abseiling in the Waitakere Ranges- Auckland, NZ

5-Canopy Adventure Zipline Tour- El Valle de Anton- Panama

Sports Travel

I like to try to catch a game while on holiday. I've been to a few

1- Glasgow Celtic vs Zilina/ Basil- August 2, 2002 (Scottish Premier League)

2-Sydney Swans vs Melbourne Demons- April 23, 2005 ( AFL-Australian Football League)

3-Waikato Chiefs vs Stormers-April 15, 2006 (Super 14 Rugby)

4-Muay Thai Boxing at Lumphini Stadium, Bangkok- April 10, 2007

Things I do on each trip

In just about every country that I've visited I have eaten at McDonalds. While away from home it is nice to eat somewhere familiar. (not that I visit McDs a whole lot at home)! The menus in each country vary which is also pretty interesting. The most impressive McDonalds that I've visited was in Rotorua, NZ and had Maori wood carvings decorating the restaurant. .

A good souvenir that I try to get in each place that I visit is a shot glass. On our trip to Thailand this was an extremely hard thing to find- pretty surprising since you can find almost anything possible among the street vendors or in shopping malls.

Animal Conservation

While traveling, I always look for different experiences that I can have interacting with animals. It can be as simple as visiting a zoo, feeding a stray dog or taking a picture with someone's pet.

However there are two things that really stand out.

1-Featherdale Wildlife Park, Sydney, Australia- check out all of the animals indigenous to Australia. The highlight was getting to feed kangaroos, wallabies and emus.

2-The Elephant Conservation Center, Chiang Mai, Thailand- This was an amazing experience. There is nothing like feeding an elephant or bathing one in a river. The $ you spend here goes to a great cause- all of the elephants living here were rescued from various abusive conditions. (read move about this on my Thailand pages-Coming Soon)

Travel TV Personalities

I went to the NY Times 2008 Travel Show and got to meet a few hosts from a couple of popular travel related shows.

-Andrew Zimmern- Travel Channel "Bizarre Foods"

-Ian Wright- Globetrekker & America the Wright Way

-Megan McCormick- Globetrekker

Andrew and Ian each gave a presentation about their shows. They were both very interesting, funny, friendly and shared their travel ideologies!

More pictures will be in an album below.

Upcoming Trips

%f

Chile ( Easter Island, Patagonia, Santiago & Valparaiso ) April 13-26 2011

Feel free to leave comments and feedback!%f*

• Intro Updated Apr 11, 2011

• CEP1863's Profile Photo
    Dec 20, 2013 at 8:19 AM

Michael, here's wishing you a very happy birthday and a year packed with exciting travel!

• toemayn's Profile Photo
    Dec 20, 2013 at 4:22 AM

Hope your birthday is filled with all the fun you can handle!

• Usctwin's Profile Photo
    Dec 20, 2012 at 11:47 AM

Happy birthday, Michael!

• freddie18's Profile Photo
    Dec 20, 2011 at 4:34 PM

Happy birthday Michael! Wish you all the best.

• cyndymc's Profile Photo
    Dec 19, 2011 at 7:02 PM

Wishing you the best birthday ever! May God shower you with blessings of joy, good health and prosperity ;)

• Bahador_Alast's Profile Photo
    Nov 12, 2011 at 1:36 AM

Actually I did the editing on our 6 hour drive from Toronto to Kirkland Lake on our way back from the trip (while my friend was driving)
    Checked out your blog, really awesome pictures!

ps. I know it may sound odd to some but Brooklyn is one of my favourite places :)

• kiwi's Profile Photo
    Nov 11, 2011 at 9:32 PM

hi Michael, that's a very cool homepage photo, our Skytower :-)) Greetings from Waikato Chiefs country :-)) We just finished Rugby World Cup. Summer coming soon I hope :-) I think you need Phil Keoghan on your TV personality page LOL.

• riorich55's Profile Photo
    Jun 29, 2011 at 5:36 PM

I saw you asked a forum question a while back about Dominica. Did you go and did you enjoy the island? My wife and I are trying to make a decision about visiting there.

• Penelope4's Profile Photo
    Dec 20, 2010 at 12:14 PM

Happy birthday Michael!

• Donna_in_India's Profile Photo
    Dec 19, 2010 at 7:29 PM

Happy, happy birthday Michael!

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!