"Suzhou - Gardens and Canals" Top 5 Page for this destination Suzhou by SLLiew

Suzhou Travel Guide: 347 reviews and 1,117 photos

Dubbed the Venice of the East, most of the canals have been replaced by roads. Yet the gardens are still there to lure tourists like me to go into the inner worlds that rich Chinese merchants and retired officials have created to soothe the soul and contemplate the world.

A great way to understand Chinese architecture, landscaping and fengshui through guided garden tours. If you tried to visit all the gardens, the admission fees can add up but if you are in Suzhou, do not miss visiting as many gardens as you can. But more important is besides taking the photos, to just sit in the gardens and see the world goes by as the minutes ticked (turn off your mobile) and the day goes by.

Most people do a day trip to Suzhou, if you stay overnight, do visit one of the gardens at night and see the garden world in a different light with Chinese classical music in the background and the moon smiling above.

• Intro Updated Feb 1, 2007

• mikelisaanna's Profile Photo
    Sep 15, 2009 at 9:44 AM

Unfortunately, we did not have enough time to visit Suzhou during our trip to China last year. It looks like we missed an interesting city.

• anoum's Profile Photo
    Jun 18, 2008 at 1:35 AM

I'm going to Shanghai and the surrounding cities in Nov. I'll be armed with info from your pages and other VT members. Thanks a lot!

• victorwkf's Profile Photo
    Jan 14, 2008 at 6:23 AM

Hi SL, Suzhou is a famous place in China which I hope to visit one day, perhaps with Hangzhou and Nanjing :)

• traveldave's Profile Photo
    Dec 31, 2007 at 10:09 AM

Suzhou looks like the typical Chinese traditional town. And it's especially nice with all its gardens and parks.

• tpal's Profile Photo
    Nov 25, 2007 at 9:57 AM

Next year we plan to visit China but, like the US, it is a very big country. For now I am just trying to understand the geography and some areas of interest for up. Carol and I are avid gardeners so this has possibilities. Thanks...Tom

• Rumi-fan's Profile Photo
    Nov 7, 2007 at 3:30 AM

I really like japanese gardens SL but i dont think it would be "fun" to watch the silk worms being killed for our pleasure. :((

• bijo69's Profile Photo
    Oct 16, 2007 at 4:08 AM

Must be a beautiful place!!!

• xaver's Profile Photo
    Oct 15, 2007 at 2:44 PM

Nice, hope to explore China deeper in the near future.

• madamx's Profile Photo
    Sep 23, 2007 at 12:40 PM

Interesting tips, SL, especially the one about Tiger Hill. One of my wedding dresses was made of brocade silk from Suzhou, and it's nice to see where it came from ~ Helen

• Cristian_Uluru's Profile Photo
    Feb 25, 2007 at 1:46 AM

I have wonderful memories of this town! Great page!

SLLiew

“Enjoy the moment. Send me a postcard from every country.”

Badges & Stats in Suzhou