Shanghai Things to Do Tips by SLLiew
Shanghai Things to Do: 1,014 reviews and 1,992 photos
An hour away is the beautifully preserved water village with canals of "Old Suzhou".
There are many stone bridges made famous by paintings over the canals.
Also there is a large number of Ming and Qing Dynasty family mansions open to tours. Do take a guided tour or follow one of the many groups in the language of your choice. The guide will describe the different parts of a typical family mansion and give you a taste of what life of the wealthy upper middle class family is life in those days. After one mansion, the rest are more or less a repeat.
The pork and chicken for sale are hung everywhere. They look better than they taste.
A boat ride around the canal seems to be a must and a good respite from the crowded streets and bridges of tourists everywhere.
The entry price is hefty but worthwhile. Many touts after you if you come alone without a tour guide. Highly recommended at least once.
Located in down Shanghai at People's Square, Shanghai Museum is a must for any foreign visitor to China to see the history and cultural of China over the dynasties since 2000 BC.
There are several floors and it will easily take you 2 hours to see. On the ground floor is a short introduction of the history of China. Then you can sample the different galleries whether you are into coins, furniture, calligraphy, paintings or bronzes or potteries or miniature perfume and treasure chests.
Get a re-entry hand stamp if you would like to go out for a quick lunch at mall underground or across to Nanjing Road.
Definitely value for money and time. There are both English and Chinese explanatory thematic free leaflets at the main lobby for better understanding and further reading when you get home.
Address: Renmin Da Dao
Directions: People's Square Station (Metro Line 1); public buses 17, 18, 20, 23, 37, 46, 48, 49, 123, 145, 916
More Reviews (7)
SLLiew's Related Pages
Shanghai Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sex and the city... so to speak."
- "Essence of Shanghai"
- "Shanghai! Its a lively city"
- "Shanghai - a classic blend of the old and the new"
- "5 Days in Shanghai"
- "Check out my blog - www.shanghai-eats.com"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Shanghai
- Hotels in Shanghai
- Transportation in Shanghai
- Nightlife in Shanghai
- Restaurants in Shanghai
- Shopping in Shanghai
- Warnings and Dangers in Shanghai
- See All...
Explore the World
- Saint Petersburg
- Tank Island
- Perur Hotels
- Wabamun Lake Hotels
- Wildcat Mountain State Park Hotels
- Roanoke Rapids Hotels
Badges & Stats in Shanghai
- 9 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 11 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (65)
Have you been to Shanghai?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Shanghai
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Quick question: How to delete..."
- Commented on one of mikelisaanna's Shanghai travel pages
- Wrote a Review Service Apartment in downtown... in Shanghai Hotels
- Uploaded a Photo to "Service Apartment in downtown Shanghai"
- updated a Shanghai Travel Page "Shanghai - Rise of Modern China"
Photos in ShanghaiSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Penang Intro, 222 reviews, 311 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malaysia Intro, 125 reviews, 138 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beijing Intro, 119 reviews, 120 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore Intro, 96 reviews, 103 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asia Intro, 75 reviews, 85 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Medan Intro, 51 reviews, 79 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Japan Intro, 59 reviews, 70 photos
- Hong Kong Intro, 45 reviews, 59 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Thailand Intro, 48 reviews, 50 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 23 reviews, 61 photos, 5 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (203)
Latest Shanghai hotel reviews
- Shangfu Holiday Hotel (East Nanjing Road)
- 7 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 29, 2012
- Bailemen Hotel Shanghai
- 27 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 21, 2013
- The Langham Yangtze Boutique
- 241 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 7, 2013
- Four Points By Sheraton Shanghai, Pudong
- 67 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 9, 2013
- Hyatt on the Bund
- 402 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 18, 2013
- Charms Hotel Shanghai
- 65 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 9, 2013
- Shanghai Jingyuan Holiday Inn Hotel
- 1 Review & Opinion
- The Westin Bund Center
- 481 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 18, 2013
- Hai Yan Hotel Shanghai
- 2 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Feb 8, 2011
- Garden Mansion Hotel
- 17 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 12, 2013
- Renaissance Shanghai Putuo Hotel
- 61 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 17, 2013
- Peace Hotel Shanghai
- 305 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 16, 2013
- Nanjing Lu- 56 Reviews, 88 Photos
- The Bund- 79 Reviews, 133 Photos
- Oriental Pearl Tower- 61 Reviews, 143 Photos
- Jade Buddha Temple- 25 Reviews, 56 Photos
- Yuyuan Garden- 56 Reviews, 136 Photos
- Xin Tian Di- 33 Reviews, 67 Photos
- Jin Mao Tower- 16 Reviews, 31 Photos
- Old Town- 11 Reviews, 22 Photos
- Shanghai Museum- 34 Reviews, 53 Photos
- Huangpu River Cruise- 14 Reviews, 33 Photos
See All Shanghai Things to Do