"Tianjin - Next to Beijing" Top 5 Page for this destination Tianjin by SLLiew

Tianjin Travel Guide: 185 reviews and 567 photos

Tianjin is the closest next major city for Beijing.

Tianjin is now within easy reach by a 30 minutes fast train ride.

So a very convenient destination for a day trip.

There is much history in Tianjin as a formal "colony" of the Western powers and Japan.

The infamous Treaty of Tientsin and plunder of Imperial Peking by the Anglo French forces from here are historical notorieties.

The last Emperor Puyi when forced to evacuate the Forbidden City came to Tianjin.

Tianjin is an important industrial hub, port of entry and educational center.

The famous "Gou Bu Li" dumpling is of Tianjin origin as well as popular miniature clay figures with "Made in Tianjin" logo.

Of the top 10 cities in China, Tianjin has much to offer of the old and the new.

• Intro Updated Nov 5, 2008

• omidamini's Profile Photo
    Jul 31, 2009 at 10:02 PM

Thanks for very helpful information about Tianjin, I hope see you here.

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    May 24, 2009 at 5:19 PM

That's an amazing bridge in Tianjin! What a great trip and glad you took a lot of photos...I'll buy one of those clay figurines but I think my son will break it!

• junecorlett's Profile Photo
    May 14, 2009 at 11:55 PM

Tianjin - your pictures show a very clean city!

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Mar 24, 2009 at 11:49 AM

Interesting tips, thanks for sharing. I'd never heard of GBL restaurants so I've been enlightened.

• hopang's Profile Photo
    Feb 13, 2009 at 9:20 AM

Hi SL, Excellent Tianjin page. We just came back from Tianjin last October. We did not see much of Tianjin as you have described. It was just a one day trip from Beijing. ~ho & pang

• xaver's Profile Photo
    Nov 21, 2008 at 10:18 AM

This is a curious Chinese town, I guess you have been lucky to visit it duric olympi games when the pollution was limited.

• victorwkf's Profile Photo
    Nov 6, 2008 at 6:29 AM

Hi SL, very comprehensive information and photos of Tianjin city! One of my colleagues is from Tianjin and she has just gone back there after our work meeting in Seoul :)

• Faiza-Ifrah's Profile Photo
    Oct 24, 2008 at 7:15 PM

oh my gosh, awesome page. french quarters look similar to cities in Quebec. xclent pictures. i saw all by enlarging. no 'rou' simply sanxian for me though :-). were you able to communicate with locals or is your chinese different mandalin vs. cantonese?

• nepalgoods's Profile Photo
    Oct 19, 2008 at 12:18 AM

Tianjin looks very interesting. I should visit it next time, when I am in China. Thank you for your useful tips!

• black_mimi99's Profile Photo
    Oct 15, 2008 at 1:35 AM

Nice page and city of Tianjin Sl....

SLLiew

“Enjoy the moment. Send me a postcard from every country.”

Badges & Stats in Tianjin

Have you been to Tianjin?

Latest Activity in Tianjin