"The South Island" Top 5 Page for this destination South Island by SLLiew

South Island Travel Guide: 6,025 reviews and 16,224 photos

The South Island is slightly larger, colder, wilder and with lower population than the North Island

There are more spectacular landscapes with the snow capped Southern Alps, the great Canterbury plain, the glaciers and the rugged forested western coastline.

You may be surprised that many Kiwis living in the North Island have not yet been to the South Island.

But as a tourist, Christchurch, Queentown, Glaciers and Milford Sound are enough reasons to venture South.

• Intro Updated Jun 3, 2007

• Faiza-Ifrah's Profile Photo
    Nov 23, 2009 at 3:44 PM

i really liked your tips to favorite place of mine that i visited long time ago - fjordland national park with its milford track. however,you did not cover those destinations, but some other tips were simply off the beaten path :-)

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    Jun 28, 2009 at 1:29 PM

I think I'll just watch the bingee jumping here at South island, hehehe...NZ on my wishlist though and just finding right time to visit...great tips! Norman :)

• Museeuw's Profile Photo
    Dec 19, 2007 at 1:37 AM

Aah, one of my dreams!

• xaver's Profile Photo
    Dec 17, 2007 at 7:13 AM

Ok, after seing both north and south island, if I had to decide I think I'd start from the north one.Thanks for the tour.

• nickandchris's Profile Photo
    Oct 5, 2007 at 9:40 AM

Beautiful scenery, love to go. Liked the sound of Puzzle World.

• i-s-a's Profile Photo
    Jun 5, 2007 at 9:37 PM

i can see now why a lot of people are dying to see this place. really amazing espcially your whale watching experience. thanks for sharing!

• imran8852's Profile Photo
    Jun 4, 2007 at 1:16 AM

Thanks SL for the info!

• travelfrosch's Profile Photo
    May 24, 2007 at 4:54 PM

Excellent look at a place I want to visit someday. The Southern Alps are definitely on my list. Cheers, Mark

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    May 7, 2007 at 7:29 AM

Nice overview of the South Island - we love it and go regularly - tho' I've yet to get to Milford Sound. leyle

• victorwkf's Profile Photo
    Feb 14, 2007 at 10:00 PM

Good tips on NZ's south island which is a place of dramatic scenery and friendly people .... bad news is that air new zealand no longer flies direct from singapore to NZ :(

SLLiew

“Enjoy the moment. Send me a postcard from every country.”

Badges & Stats in South Island

Have you been to South Island?