"New Zealand - Destination of Two Islands" New Zealand by SLLiew
New Zealand Travel Guide: 14,440 reviews and 36,340 photos
"From a distance, the glacier looked small.
I must have looked like an ant with six left legs trying to crawl up a giant slippery ice cube.
Was surprised that wearing shorts was recommended as long pants could get wet, soaked and heavy. Good news: the staff are well-trained and take good care of tourist climbers.
Initially, I could not decide whether to dangerously chisel my way up there the glacier wall or take the quick, easy, expensive helicopter ride. Finally, the poor weather cancelling the helicopter flight decided for me.
For someone tropicana who had only skied once in Vermont, once in Lake Tahoe and taken basic ice skating lesson in New Haven, it was a terrifying experience to have to scramble across ladders or jumped over deep crevices. It was a piece of cake for the rest of my group but for me, one of the most memorable near death experiences in NZ."
The North and South Islands are distinct. Most Kiwis live in the North Island and I met many whom have not been to the South Island.
NZ is made further famous by Lord of the Rings is a magical kingdom where both English and Maori are the official languages, where cows and sheep outnumber people and where there are so many diverse climatic regions from volcanoes, temperate forests, grassland to glaciers are a few hours apart.
It is a faraway from everywhere else in the world and makes it an unforgettable destination.
Whale watching in Kaikoura, dolphin watching in Bay Island and cruising in Milford Sound in perfect weather came in close seconds and are more my cup of tea.
The weather of NZ is so changeable, it is worth planning your trip according to local weather forecast.
This makes a trip to NZ even more unpredictable and adventurous and worthwhile.
SLLiew's Related Pages
New Zealand Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Kia Ora - Aotearoa"
- "A Proud Local Shows You Around New Zealand!!!"
- "Antipodean Paradise"
- "Living and Travelling in New Zealand"
- "The most beautiful country in the world"
- "North & South Islands."
- "God's Country!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in New Zealand
- Hotels in New Zealand
- Transportation in New Zealand
- Nightlife in New Zealand
- Restaurants in New Zealand
- Shopping in New Zealand
- Warnings and Dangers in New Zealand
- See All...
Badges & Stats in New Zealand
- 46 Reviews
- 64 Photos
- 14 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (63)
Have you been to New Zealand?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in New Zealand
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Penang Intro, 222 reviews, 311 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malaysia Intro, 125 reviews, 138 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beijing Intro, 119 reviews, 120 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore Intro, 96 reviews, 103 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asia Intro, 75 reviews, 85 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Medan Intro, 51 reviews, 79 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Japan Intro, 59 reviews, 70 photos
- Hong Kong Intro, 45 reviews, 59 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Thailand Intro, 48 reviews, 50 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 23 reviews, 61 photos, 5 travelogues
Top New Zealand hotels
- Auckland Hotels
- 1035 Reviews - 2271 Photos
- Wellington Hotels
- 591 Reviews - 1252 Photos
- Queenstown Hotels
- 630 Reviews - 1670 Photos
- Rotorua Hotels
- 474 Reviews - 1182 Photos
- Christchurch Hotels
- 1239 Reviews - 2600 Photos
- Mangere Hotels
- 2 Reviews
- New Plymouth Hotels
- 18 Reviews - 42 Photos
- Palmerston North Hotels
- 32 Reviews - 92 Photos
- Napier Hotels
- 198 Reviews - 519 Photos
- Tauranga Hotels
- 18 Reviews - 49 Photos
- Whangarei Hotels
- 65 Reviews - 82 Photos
- Gisborne Hotels
- 50 Reviews - 105 Photos
- Timaru Hotels
- 53 Reviews - 140 Photos
- Taupo (town) Hotels
- 21 Reviews - 47 Photos
- Hamilton Hotels
- 55 Reviews - 226 Photos