Thailand Favorite Tips by SLLiew Top 5 Page for this destination
Thailand Favorites: 604 reviews and 423 photos
Favorite thing: The main venues of the 13th Asian Games 1998 was at the Rangsit Sports Complex at Thamnaset University at Pathumthani, just outside Bangkok.
It was a daily commute by train from Hualumpong Main train station in Bangkok and then shuttle bus to the Sports Complex.
The Games was well organized.
Favorite thing: Thailand is the only country in Southeast Asia that was not colonized by a Western power.
Malaysia, Singapore, Brune and Myanmar by the English. Philippines by the Spanish and then the Americans. Indonesia by Dutch. East Timor by Portuguese. Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia by the French.
As popularized by the movie the "King and I", the modern forward thinking King Mongkut invited western diplomats to his court and maintained a balance of neutrality and independence. Royal princes and scholars were sent to Europe and America for schools.
Boromabiman Building is built by King Rama VI - one of the royal buildings constructed under Western influence in the royal grounds. By keeping her doors open to the West, Thailand has kept her independence path in modern history while all her neighbors felled into Western rule.
Favorite thing: Due to years of delay of the new airport, the old airport Don Muang has been operation for decades and with a Thai style building inside the transit area was an icon for travelling flying in and out of Bangkok.
Until the downtown to airport highway was completed, it used to be a guesswork on how much time to give to get to the airport on time due to traffic jam - 2, 3 or 4 hours.
Now the new airport is operation as it opened September, 2006. Hello to the new airport - Suvarnabhumi but we will never forget Don Muang.
Favorite thing: There is nothing like the excitement of the first trip to a new country.
Seating next to the window seat away from the wings, give a perfect vantage view.
Here is a picture of the first land of Thailand after crossing the Gulf of Thailand.
Immediately crossing the coast, rice fields appear everywhere. It was the flat delta of the Menam Chao Phraya that ensures that Thailand is one of the major producer of rice in Asia.
So fly to arrive during the day and choose a window seat away from the wings when you fly to your next new country.
Favorite thing: No visa required for Malaysian visiting Thailand up to maximum 90 days.
For more information for other nationals, check website:
More Reviews (43)
- See All Crocodile Show - Another Must See
- See All Learning basic Thai dancing
- See All Another budget inn in Silom
SLLiew's Related Pages
Thailand Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Thailand - BpraThetThai"
- "Beautiful Thailand!!"
- "Siam - Land of the Smiles"
- "*The Land of Smiles"
- "Thailand, great time but not again"
- "but where is your soul?"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Thailand
- Hotels in Thailand
- Transportation in Thailand
- Nightlife in Thailand
- Restaurants in Thailand
- Shopping in Thailand
- Warnings and Dangers in Thailand
- See All...
Explore the World
- Morgantown Hotels
- Isla de las Palomas Hotels
- Knowsley Hotels
- Viljandi Hotels
- Erzurum Ili
Badges & Stats in Thailand
- 110 Reviews
- 134 Photos
- 80 Forum posts
- 13 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (65)
Have you been to Thailand?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Thailand
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Quick question: How to delete..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Take River Boat Taxi on Menam Chao Phraya"
- Commented on one of lindyz's Thailand travel pages
- updated a Thailand Travel Page "Siam - Land of the Smiles"
- Wrote a Review Crocodile Show - Another Must See in Thailand Things to Do
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Penang Intro, 222 reviews, 311 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malaysia Intro, 125 reviews, 138 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beijing Intro, 119 reviews, 120 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore Intro, 96 reviews, 103 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asia Intro, 75 reviews, 85 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Medan Intro, 51 reviews, 79 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Japan Intro, 59 reviews, 70 photos
- Hong Kong Intro, 45 reviews, 59 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Thailand Intro, 48 reviews, 50 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 23 reviews, 61 photos, 5 travelogues
Top Thailand hotels
- Bangkok Hotels
- 10207 Reviews - 22513 Photos
- Ko Samui Hotels
- 1125 Reviews - 2469 Photos
- Pattaya Hotels
- 914 Reviews - 2280 Photos
- Hat Yai Hotels
- 374 Reviews - 706 Photos
- Chiang Mai Hotels
- 1854 Reviews - 4692 Photos
- Hua Hin Hotels
- 586 Reviews - 1118 Photos
- Ko Samet Hotels
- 247 Reviews - 621 Photos
- Nakhon Ratchasima Hotels
- 129 Reviews - 373 Photos
- Ko Phi Phi Don Hotels
- 487 Reviews - 1361 Photos
- Ko Phangan Hotels
- 393 Reviews - 818 Photos
- Khon Kaen Hotels
- 92 Reviews - 260 Photos
- Ko Chang Hotels
- 224 Reviews - 561 Photos
- Ban Lamai Hotels
- 10 Reviews - 13 Photos
- Kanchanaburi Hotels
- 462 Reviews - 1329 Photos
- Chiang Rai Hotels
- 230 Reviews - 672 Photos