"Siam - Land of the Smiles" Top 5 Page for this destination Thailand by SLLiew
Thailand Travel Guide: 31,193 reviews and 78,875 photos
It is fun, challenging and rewarding to learn the Thai alphabets. Although major road signs and Sky train stations are in both English and Thai, it is cool when you can recognize the street name of Thanon Silom (Silom Street) and your hotel names in Thai alphabets.
When taking the taxi, remember to bring a long a hotel/hostel card from the reception. It has the map, address and telephone number written in Thai and so you can just show it to your taxi driver.
Similarly, have your local destination written out in Thai by the receptionist. Or have the concierge ensure that taxi driver knows your destination before speeding off.
"May pen rai" is equivalent to "Never mind, take it easy" Thai attitude is good to have when travelling in Thai. Raising your voice or getting angry is very unThai.
From Penang, you can easily go to Bangkok by flight, train or land or the southern islands of Phuket, Phi Phi, Samui, Phangan, Koh Tao via Haadyai by vans. For Bangkok, I prefer flight or rail. Taking the bus/van will require stops and waiting times at Haadyai and Surat Thani.
Side trips in Bangkok that I liked are River Kwai, Floating Market, Rose Garden, Elephant Show and Ayuthaya by land, return by boat.
Water taxi is an experience on Menam Chao Phraya River and it is very cheap. Just hop on and hop off along the water taxi stands by the river.
Thai food is wonderful. Do go for a nice hotel buffet to sample the varieties of dishes and desserts.. Getting a slight tummy upset is not uncommon if you are unused to the spices and combinations.. So take it easy.
Visiting temples, the Emerald Buddha is a must. Donations is voluntary. Many of the fortune telling strips can give negative forecasts (rather than the feel good Chinese fortune cookies). But do not dispair, you can get an immediate temple blessings to wash away the bad karma.
Shopping at Chatuchak on weekend has become a tourist in the daytime and Patpong in the night.
Often inside a tour package, you joined all the other tourists being transfered from your buses into an open stadium and... more travel advice
I always love to take a public river boat taxi along the Menam Chao Phraya. You can get on and off at both sides of... more travel advice
- See All Another budget inn in Silom
- See All Weekend Stamp Market
- See All Overnight trains from Southern Thailand
SLLiew's Related Pages
Thailand Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Thailand - BpraThetThai"
- "Beautiful Thailand!!"
- "Siam - Land of the Smiles"
- "*The Land of Smiles"
- "Thailand, great time but not again"
- "but where is your soul?"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Thailand
- Hotels in Thailand
- Transportation in Thailand
- Nightlife in Thailand
- Restaurants in Thailand
- Shopping in Thailand
- Warnings and Dangers in Thailand
- See All...
Explore the World
- West Onslow Beach Hotels
- United States of America
- Bushnell Basin Hotels
- Male Island
- Kuala Lumpur
- North America
- Diu Hotels
- East London Hotels
- Pismo Beach Hotels
- Riva del Garda
- Dockweiler Beach State Park Hotels
- Montecatini Terme
Badges & Stats in Thailand
- 110 Reviews
- 134 Photos
- 80 Forum posts
- 13 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (63)
Have you been to Thailand?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Thailand
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Anyone travelling to remote or..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Take River Boat Taxi on Menam Chao Phraya"
- Commented on one of lindyz's Thailand travel pages
- updated a Thailand Travel Page "Siam - Land of the Smiles"
- Wrote a Review Crocodile Show - Another Must See in Thailand Things to Do
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Penang Intro, 222 reviews, 311 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malaysia Intro, 125 reviews, 138 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beijing Intro, 119 reviews, 120 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore Intro, 96 reviews, 103 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asia Intro, 75 reviews, 85 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Medan Intro, 51 reviews, 79 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Japan Intro, 59 reviews, 70 photos
- Hong Kong Intro, 45 reviews, 59 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Thailand Intro, 48 reviews, 50 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 23 reviews, 61 photos, 5 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (204)
Top Thailand hotels
- Bangkok Hotels
- 10315 Reviews - 22905 Photos
- Hat Yai Hotels
- 377 Reviews - 715 Photos
- Pattaya Hotels
- 931 Reviews - 2331 Photos
- Ko Samui Hotels
- 1118 Reviews - 2459 Photos
- Chiang Mai Hotels
- 1863 Reviews - 4727 Photos
- Hua Hin Hotels
- 586 Reviews - 1121 Photos
- Ko Phi Phi Don Hotels
- 488 Reviews - 1361 Photos
- Ko Samet Hotels
- 247 Reviews - 622 Photos
- Ko Phangan Hotels
- 396 Reviews - 825 Photos
- Ko Lanta Hotels
- 182 Reviews - 418 Photos
- Ko Chang Hotels
- 227 Reviews - 567 Photos
- Nakhon Ratchasima Hotels
- 120 Reviews - 333 Photos
- Ban Khao Lak Hotels
- 89 Reviews - 225 Photos
- Khon Kaen Hotels
- 92 Reviews - 260 Photos
- Kanchanaburi Hotels
- 462 Reviews - 1332 Photos