"Catholic but Asian" Philippines by SLLiew

Philippines Travel Guide: 26,057 reviews and 88,592 photos

First a business trip, then a family trip...

Manila, Subic Bay, and around Manila

On my first business trip, I only had the weekend to travel. I stayed in major hotel which was unfortunately under high security because of a US VIP. People power was just over and I visited Mr. Aquino humble tombstone in the lavish cemetry park. Of course, I was driven by the infamous red light district and saw the Fire Station.

My second trip, many years later, I spent three weeks and saw more. Going to where the rich shop at Makati and seeing a young girl trying to pick pocket and being kicked by a undercover near Chinatown. Enjoyed the singing restaurant.

At Subic Bay, watched demonstration of jungle survival and seeing an amazing population of giant fruit bats in Subic Bay.

Also saw a giant volcanic crater lake , the home of Jose Rizal and canoeing through a river with cliff waterfalls.

Flew to Borarcay. It is true the fine sand does not feel hot under the sun.

Recommend in Manila to go for the Malacanang Palace tour. Need to book in advance with your passport. Former palace of the Marcos family but now each room has the history of the past Presidents. The shoes of Mrs. Marcos unfortunately no longer there.

Manila is a city of contrast. Churches and huge advertisements of cinema skin flicks. Beautiful barong shirts, wealthy high security villa homes and abject poverty.

Dare you to try....

1) Taking a jeepney around town

2) Taking the train around town

3) Eating balut (unhatched duck egg)*

* Do not check that there is no local H5N1 virus breakout first.

Mabuhay.... Postcard received from Manila.

English is widely spoken. Tagalog, Visayan and many local languages and dialects are also spoken.

In Mindanao and southern islands, Islam is the predominant religion.

• Intro Updated Dec 21, 2006

Travelogues (1)

• DSwede's Profile Photo
    Jan 21, 2008 at 4:44 PM

Thanks for visiting my Indonesia pages. Looks like I'll get more of the islands, but this time on holiday. Will go to Philippines with my sister next month.

• monina_c's Profile Photo
    Oct 10, 2007 at 6:53 PM

S.L. thanks for the ratings!

• elpariente's Profile Photo
    May 11, 2007 at 7:02 AM

Philippines is on my pending list Good and interesting pages!!!!

• victorwkf's Profile Photo
    May 1, 2007 at 12:32 AM

I may be going to philippines again either in dec 07 or jan 08. If so, this time will try to visit corregidor island + mt pinatubo or go to bohol if my wife is coming. Btw, vesak day is on 31st may in singapore this year :)

• imran8852's Profile Photo
    Feb 16, 2007 at 3:14 AM

Hi SL! Thanks Again For Your Visit To My Homepage !

• i-s-a's Profile Photo
    Feb 5, 2007 at 8:40 PM

nice page. your weekend get-away suggestions are helpful. please keep that P10 note as it is not circulated anymore...would be a good souvenir together with your postcards. greets from orion!

SLLiew

“Enjoy the moment. Send me a postcard from every country.”

Badges & Stats in Philippines

Have you been to Philippines?

Latest Activity in Philippines