"Catholic but Asian" Philippines by SLLiew
Philippines Travel Guide: 25,979 reviews and 88,311 photos
Manila, Subic Bay, and around Manila
On my first business trip, I only had the weekend to travel. I stayed in major hotel which was unfortunately under high security because of a US VIP. People power was just over and I visited Mr. Aquino humble tombstone in the lavish cemetry park. Of course, I was driven by the infamous red light district and saw the Fire Station.
My second trip, many years later, I spent three weeks and saw more. Going to where the rich shop at Makati and seeing a young girl trying to pick pocket and being kicked by a undercover near Chinatown. Enjoyed the singing restaurant.
At Subic Bay, watched demonstration of jungle survival and seeing an amazing population of giant fruit bats in Subic Bay.
Also saw a giant volcanic crater lake , the home of Jose Rizal and canoeing through a river with cliff waterfalls.
Flew to Borarcay. It is true the fine sand does not feel hot under the sun.
Recommend in Manila to go for the Malacanang Palace tour. Need to book in advance with your passport. Former palace of the Marcos family but now each room has the history of the past Presidents. The shoes of Mrs. Marcos unfortunately no longer there.
Manila is a city of contrast. Churches and huge advertisements of cinema skin flicks. Beautiful barong shirts, wealthy high security villa homes and abject poverty.
1) Taking a jeepney around town
2) Taking the train around town
3) Eating balut (unhatched duck egg)*
* Do not check that there is no local H5N1 virus breakout first.
SLLiew's Related Pages
Philippines Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "PHILIPPINES---ISLANDS, MOUNTAINS & FRIENDLY PEOPLE"
- "The Philippines: The Fiesta Islands of Asia"
- "Tierra Adorada, Hija Del Sol De Oriente..."
- "My Country Home"
- "Over 7000 Islands!! Have Fun"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Philippines
- Hotels in Philippines
- Transportation in Philippines
- Nightlife in Philippines
- Restaurants in Philippines
- Shopping in Philippines
- Warnings and Dangers in Philippines
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Philippines
- 21 Reviews
- 39 Photos
- 9 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (60)
Have you been to Philippines?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Philippines
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Penang Intro, 222 reviews, 311 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malaysia Intro, 125 reviews, 138 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beijing Intro, 119 reviews, 120 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore Intro, 96 reviews, 103 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asia Intro, 75 reviews, 85 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Medan Intro, 51 reviews, 79 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Japan Intro, 59 reviews, 70 photos
- Hong Kong Intro, 45 reviews, 59 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Thailand Intro, 48 reviews, 50 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 23 reviews, 61 photos, 5 travelogues