"UNESCO City - Sumatran, Portuguese, Dutch, British" Top 5 Page for this destination Negeri Melaka by SLLiew
Negeri Melaka Travel Guide: 1,810 reviews and 4,482 photos
As of July 2008, Melaka has been added to UNESCO World Heritage List of Historic Cities.
Melaka (Malacca in English) is a popular tourist destination. It is a day trip from Kuala Lumpur and a favorite weekend escapade for Singaporeans too.
I always enjoy the historic atmosphere of the town and the nonya food (earlier Chinese who intermarried with locals) and Hainanese chicken rice balls.
There are many museums and parks at nearby Ayer Keroh for family orientated trips.
HISTORY OF MELAKA
Per history book, Malacca was founded in 1403 by a Sumatran prince called Parameswara as a port along the strategic Straits of Melaka, between Malay peninsular and Sumatra, connecting Indian Ocean with South China Sea.
Later, the prince converted to Islam and Melaka became an Malay Islamic empire stretching from Johor (Singapore and Riau Islands) to Perak and Pahang in the Peninsular Malaysia.
In 1511, Melaka fell to the Portuguese. In 1641, the Dutch took over the port and in 1824, Melaka became English sphere when it was exchanged with Bencoolen in Sumatra as a Dutch-English agreement.
Another popular tourist stop for a group photograph is the Hang Li Po's Well. It is located at the Sam Poh Kong temple.... more travel advice
This famous Melaka landmark, the Porta de Santiago is what remained of the mighty Fort A'Famosa that was built by... more travel advice
SLLiew's Related Pages
Negeri Melaka Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "VT Meet in Melaka (11-12 Mar 2006)"
- "UNESCO City - Sumatran, Portuguese, Dutch, British"
- "The historical state that is named after a tree"
- "A' Famosa Water Theme Park, Melaka"
- "Malacca (Melaka) - An important ancient port"
- "Age of Empire"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Negeri Melaka
- Hotels in Negeri Melaka
- Transportation in Negeri Melaka
- Nightlife in Negeri Melaka
- Restaurants in Negeri Melaka
- Shopping in Negeri Melaka
- Warnings and Dangers in Negeri Melaka
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Negeri Melaka
- 13 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 9 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (60)
Have you been to Negeri Melaka?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Negeri Melaka
- Posted in Travel Penang Forum "Re: Penang hill"
- updated a Negeri Melaka Travel Page "UNESCO City - Sumatran, Portuguese, Dutch, British"
- Commented on one of victorwkf's Negeri Melaka travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Easy regular bus connection"
- Wrote a Review Portuguese Eurasian Community in Negeri Melaka Local Customs
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Penang Intro, 222 reviews, 311 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malaysia Intro, 125 reviews, 138 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beijing Intro, 119 reviews, 120 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore Intro, 96 reviews, 103 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asia Intro, 75 reviews, 85 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Medan Intro, 51 reviews, 79 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Japan Intro, 59 reviews, 70 photos
- Hong Kong Intro, 45 reviews, 59 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Thailand Intro, 48 reviews, 50 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 23 reviews, 61 photos, 5 travelogues