"Pulau Pinang - State of Penang since 1786" Top 5 Page for this destination Negeri Pulau Pinang by SLLiew

Negeri Pulau Pinang Travel Guide: 2,939 reviews and 6,739 photos

State, Island, City

"Penang "is loosely referred to any of the following:
1) State (which consist of the island and a strip on the mainland)
2) Penang Island - formerly Prince of Wales Island
3) George Town or Tanjung ("cape" in Malay) or Poh Teh ("downtown" in Hokkien Chinese dialect)

There is a ferry service and the Penang Bridge that links the island to the mainland which is the Malay Peninsula.

Penang State has a population majority of Chinese, followed by Malay, Indian and other ethnic groups.

The island lost its tax free status in the 1970's. Since it has been established as a major commercial hub of the Northern states of Perlis, Kedah and upper section of Perak.

There is a major international airport on Penang Island and a new container port has been upgraded in Butterworth.

Butterworth is the major town opposite Georgetown. Other towns are Bukit Mertajam, Kepala Batas, Simpang Ampat, Jawi, Batu Kawan and Nibong Tebal.

There is a thriving electronics and related industries. Penang boast being one of the pioneer in Free Trade Zones, now called Free Industrial Zone, where 100% export have no or minimal tax duties.

Companies here include Intel, AMD, Renesas, Dell, etc.

Penang was also an air base for RAAF - Royal Australian Air Force and so many Australians still return to visit Penang where they stayed in Tanjong Tokong, Tanjong Bungah and Batu Ferringhi beach areas. The air base is still around though now under Royal Malaysia Air Force.

On the mainland strip, Sebarang Perai (formerly Province Wellesley_ has highway and railway connection between Thailand and Singapore and highway to Kelantan and East Coast.

There is plans for a second bridge. But do take a ferry ride across the channel at night and you can see the lights on both sides as well as on Penang Hill.

• Intro Updated Oct 5, 2007

• hopang's Profile Photo
    Aug 8, 2009 at 9:29 AM

Excellent overview on Pulau Pinang. We loved monkey watching when we were in Penang. One of our nephews was very fond of monkies whenever we visited Penang Island. ~ho & pang.

• easterntrekker's Profile Photo
    Sep 14, 2008 at 12:26 PM

Great pages as usual? I especially love the monkey page...but they are a favorite animal of mine!!

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Aug 4, 2008 at 9:12 AM

A very educational page for me to learn about the "Leng Geng" drink, the real Pinang tree, the Cannon Ball Trees, and P.I.S.A. I also found the Gardens and Floral Show most interesting.

• tremendopunto's Profile Photo
    Jul 16, 2008 at 1:14 PM

Yep, it is a lovely place! Will be back for more ;-)

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Jul 9, 2008 at 5:30 PM

Nice tips!

• starship's Profile Photo
    Jun 8, 2008 at 5:52 PM

Very interesting information and there is much to see in Penang! The Penang Bridge is an impressive feat of engineering reminding me of similar bridge near my hometown.

• SWFC_Fan's Profile Photo
    Oct 10, 2007 at 11:53 AM

Good work, SL - I enjoyed reading your page! That's a very impressive bridge in the main photo. I hope you'll enjoy the Hari Raya Puasa holiday. I'm sure there'll be lots of good food after a month of fasting! :-)

• RoyJava's Profile Photo
    Oct 7, 2007 at 2:18 PM

Well done SL, great update! Interesting to reqad about Penang History - Early Independence, and excellent tips, like the ferry across the channel, thanks, greets RoyJava from The Hague, Holland

• Azri_Azmi's Profile Photo
    Jul 24, 2007 at 2:00 AM

Hiya SL, I will lead a company's trip to Penang from 10th August til 13th August. You are around seh? Take care.

• mfas2000's Profile Photo
    May 29, 2007 at 11:57 PM

Excellent pages. True global traveller. we pallning our trip to MY this Oct. I would like to take your advice

SLLiew

“Enjoy the moment. Send me a postcard from every country.”

Badges & Stats in Negeri Pulau Pinang

Have you been to Negeri Pulau Pinang?

Videos in Negeri Pulau Pinang