"Pulau Pinang - State of Penang since 1786" Top 5 Page for this destination Negeri Pulau Pinang by SLLiew
Negeri Pulau Pinang Travel Guide: 2,934 reviews and 6,707 photos
"Penang "is loosely referred to any of the following:
1) State (which consist of the island and a strip on the mainland)
2) Penang Island - formerly Prince of Wales Island
3) George Town or Tanjung ("cape" in Malay) or Poh Teh ("downtown" in Hokkien Chinese dialect)
There is a ferry service and the Penang Bridge that links the island to the mainland which is the Malay Peninsula.
Penang State has a population majority of Chinese, followed by Malay, Indian and other ethnic groups.
The island lost its tax free status in the 1970's. Since it has been established as a major commercial hub of the Northern states of Perlis, Kedah and upper section of Perak.
There is a major international airport on Penang Island and a new container port has been upgraded in Butterworth.
Butterworth is the major town opposite Georgetown. Other towns are Bukit Mertajam, Kepala Batas, Simpang Ampat, Jawi, Batu Kawan and Nibong Tebal.
There is a thriving electronics and related industries. Penang boast being one of the pioneer in Free Trade Zones, now called Free Industrial Zone, where 100% export have no or minimal tax duties.
Companies here include Intel, AMD, Renesas, Dell, etc.
Penang was also an air base for RAAF - Royal Australian Air Force and so many Australians still return to visit Penang where they stayed in Tanjong Tokong, Tanjong Bungah and Batu Ferringhi beach areas. The air base is still around though now under Royal Malaysia Air Force.
On the mainland strip, Sebarang Perai (formerly Province Wellesley_ has highway and railway connection between Thailand and Singapore and highway to Kelantan and East Coast.
There is plans for a second bridge. But do take a ferry ride across the channel at night and you can see the lights on both sides as well as on Penang Hill.
For most tourists, the most convenient transport from the airport to your hotel, unfortunately, is only the airport... more travel advice
Bak Kut Teh in Chinese means "Pork Rib Herbal Soup". It is considered a Malaysian Chinese concoction originating from... more travel advice
SLLiew's Related Pages
Negeri Pulau Pinang Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Pulau Pinang - State of Penang since 1786"
- "Pulau Pinang = Penang Island"
- "Pearl Of The Orient"
- "Beautiful Penang (Pinang) Island"
- "Pulau Pinang @ Penang"
- "Penang Island"
- "Pulau Pinang @ Penang"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Negeri Pulau Pinang
- Hotels in Negeri Pulau Pinang
- Transportation in Negeri Pulau Pinang
- Nightlife in Negeri Pulau Pinang
- Restaurants in Negeri Pulau Pinang
- Shopping in Negeri Pulau Pinang
- Warnings and Dangers in Negeri Pulau Pinang
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Negeri Pulau Pinang
- 354 Reviews
- 524 Photos
- 108 Forum posts
- 12 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (60)
Have you been to Negeri Pulau Pinang?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Negeri Pulau Pinang
- Posted in Travel Sandakan Forum "Re: Leech socks"
- Wrote a Review Airport to Hotel by Taxi in Negeri Pulau Pinang Transportation
- Uploaded a Photo to "Airport to Hotel by Taxi"
- Commented on one of ATXtraveler's Negeri Pulau Pinang travel pages
- updated a Negeri Pulau Pinang Travel Page "Pulau Pinang - State of Penang since 1786"
Videos in Negeri Pulau PinangSee All Videos (2)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Penang Intro, 222 reviews, 311 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malaysia Intro, 125 reviews, 138 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beijing Intro, 119 reviews, 120 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore Intro, 96 reviews, 103 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asia Intro, 75 reviews, 85 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Medan Intro, 51 reviews, 79 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Japan Intro, 59 reviews, 70 photos
- Hong Kong Intro, 45 reviews, 59 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Thailand Intro, 48 reviews, 50 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 23 reviews, 61 photos, 5 travelogues