"Visit Malaysia Year 2007 has started" Top 5 Page for this destination Malaysia by SLLiew
Malaysia Travel Guide: 28,988 reviews and 74,486 photos
A Bit of History
Malaysia achieved independence as Malaya on August 31, 1957 from the British without a shot being fired.
At that time, it was federation of the Straits Settlements of Penang (Pulau Pinang) and Malacca (Melaka), the Federated States of Perak, Selangor, Negri Sembilan (Negeri Sembilan), Pahang and the Unfederated States of Perlis, Kedah, Kelantan, Trengganu (Terengganu) and Johore (Johor).
In 1963, Malaya became Malaysia with the addition of Sarawak and Sabah of Borneo and the Crown Colony of Singapore. In 1965, Singapore left Malaysia and became an independent country.
Later on, the Federal Territories (Wilaya Persekutuan) of Kuala Lumpur, Labuan and Putrajaya were created.
There are two natural heritage Unesco sites in Malaysia
1) Gunung Kinabalu National Park (Sabah) - Mount Kinabalu
2) Gunung Mulu National Park (Sarawak) - Mulu Caves, Pinnacles
There also many rainforest parks, splendid diving and bird watching locations and beautiful islands in Malaysia for the adventurous and nature lovers.
Both George Town (Penang, Pulau Pinang) and Malacca (Melaka) are seeking joint heritage Unesco cities.
Malaysia - Truly Asia
When the British ruled Malaysia, labor immigration from China to work the tin industry and from India for the rubber industry were actively organized.
Today, Malaysia is a mult-ethnic population of Malay, Chinese and Indian. There are other indigenous tribes of Iban/Dayak, Kadazan, etc in Sarawak and Sabah as well as in Peninsular Malaysia.
So you will find various cultural festivals year round in Malaysia and can taste all kinds of food, authentic as well as fusion from the various ethnic communities.
Around April annually, if you are travelling in Malaysia, you will suddenly see patches of the hills cleared with many... more travel advice
Cheong Fatt Tze Mansion in Penang won the prestigeous "UNESCO Conservation Award 2000 National Architecture Award for... more travel advice
- Malaysia's Popular Food
- Sungai Petani - Cinta Sayang Golf &...
- See All Airport Security Charge as of Jan 15,...
SLLiew's Related Pages
Malaysia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Visit Malaysia Year 2007 has started"
- "Malaysia - a cool fusion of culture and beliefs"
- "Malaysia Travel (and The Foreign Labour Colony)"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Malaysia
- Hotels in Malaysia
- Transportation in Malaysia
- Nightlife in Malaysia
- Restaurants in Malaysia
- Shopping in Malaysia
- Warnings and Dangers in Malaysia
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Malaysia
- 821 Reviews
- 1,116 Photos
- 281 Forum posts
- 22 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (67)
Have you been to Malaysia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Malaysia
- Posted in Travel Bukit Mertajam Forum "Re: airport to mertajam"
- Commented on one of cafank's Malaysia travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Watching hawker preparing food step by step"
- Wrote a Review Chinese Tomb Clearing in Malaysia Local Customs
- updated a Malaysia Travel Page "Visit Malaysia Year 2007 has started"
Videos in MalaysiaSee All Videos (2)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Penang Intro, 222 reviews, 311 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malaysia Intro, 125 reviews, 138 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beijing Intro, 119 reviews, 120 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore Intro, 96 reviews, 103 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asia Intro, 75 reviews, 85 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Medan Intro, 51 reviews, 79 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Japan Intro, 59 reviews, 70 photos
- Hong Kong Intro, 45 reviews, 59 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Thailand Intro, 48 reviews, 50 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 23 reviews, 61 photos, 5 travelogues