"High Culture & Modernity" Top 5 Page for this destination Japan by SLLiew
Japan Travel Guide: 21,887 reviews and 63,276 photos
Japan is a delightful country to vist. You can witness a country with traditional cultures and modern technologies blended into a unique way of life. From the slow sipping tea ceremony to non-stop fast bullet Shinakansen train.
Where you can be served breakfast in your room with hot bath prepared at a typical Japanese hotel ryokans. Where you can buy your "manga" comic magazines or umbrellas from street-side 24 hours vending machines.
Where the "samurai"and "other working classes" are now international corporate executives called "sarariman". Where most Japanese women of the older generations stay at home and await their husbands coming home late from work .
Tokyo is a fabulous city to roam around - Shinjuku, Akihabara, Shibuya, Ginza.... It is a favorite gateway to all Japan besides Osaka and Fukuoka.
Where language and high cost of travelling is a challenge, Japan is defintely a must-visit country with value for every yen.
For easy direction, practise saying in Japanese
"Sumimasen, (Shinjuku, Tokyo Tower, Disneylando) e ikitai no desuga" and follow the hand directions even if you have no clue of the Japanese that follows.
To say in English "Excuse me..." will quickly drive the locals away like plague.
JR rail pass is convenient, fast and economic way to go up and down the country. I went from Nikko to Nagasaki. Had to see all the top 5 famous castles, temples (otera), gardens, mountains, lakes and islands during my first Japan trip and was more selective in subsequents visits.
Obento (take-away meal boxes) can be bought easily at train stations. Saves time and money. Eat while you travel on the train or bus. Ramen are delicious and cheap too.
1) Taking a Japanese hot bath in a Japanese home, public bath or onsen. Soaking in hot water is excellent relaxation after a hectic travelling day.
2) Taking the train in Tokyo in the morning rush hour.
3) Playing pachinko (gambling ball machines) - second best after Las Vegas.
4) Eating sushi (raw fish) every day and raw eggs over steaming rice for breakfast.
5) Sleep on the tatami floor
6) Tokyo Tower or any tall building for bird eye's view of the metropolis..
7) Visit a typical Japanese garden for your spirit and soul.
8) Drink sake or ochya (tea)
While you may not be able to go up the famous Mt. Fuji by foot from the 5th station to the top and see the sunrise,... more travel advice
When in Japan, you should spend some time enjoying the beautiful Japanese gardens. There are many different garden... more travel advice
SLLiew's Related Pages
Japan Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "LAND AND NATURE OF JAPAN"
- "Nihon sugoi desu! (Japan is wonderful!)"
- "Japan has, what you've never experienced"
- "High Culture & Modernity"
- "Japan, My Friends, Our Trip...."
- "Paul's Journey Through Japan"
- "Tadaima!! (I came back!!)"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Japan
- Hotels in Japan
- Transportation in Japan
- Nightlife in Japan
- Restaurants in Japan
- Shopping in Japan
- Warnings and Dangers in Japan
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Japan
- 140 Reviews
- 167 Photos
- 42 Forum posts
- 10 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (66)
Have you been to Japan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Japan
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Penang Intro, 222 reviews, 311 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malaysia Intro, 125 reviews, 138 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beijing Intro, 119 reviews, 120 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore Intro, 96 reviews, 103 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asia Intro, 75 reviews, 85 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Medan Intro, 51 reviews, 79 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Japan Intro, 59 reviews, 70 photos
- Hong Kong Intro, 45 reviews, 59 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Thailand Intro, 48 reviews, 50 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 23 reviews, 61 photos, 5 travelogues