"Penang - Prince of Wales Island" Top 5 Page for this destination Penang by SLLiew
Penang Travel Guide: 2,478 reviews and 5,340 photos
Penang - Food Paradise Island
In Penang, there is a famous saying for a foodstall - It must be "Cheap & Good"
Try the local fruits - the papaya, guava, banana, jambu air, chiku, nangka, starfruit, water melon and seasonal fruits like the rambutan, mangosteen, langsat, duku and durian for the X factor.
Try the local cuisines - char koay teow, wanton mee, hokkien mee, curry mee, Hainanese chicken rice, beef noodles, chee cheong fun, economy rice, nasi kandar, roti helicopter, lok lok.
Try the local desserts and drinks - chendul, ice kacang, leng chee kang, pancake, nonya kuih, kopi-o, teh tarik, soya bean drink, sugar cane juice.
Diverse cultural and heritage buildings - free or low admission fees.
- Botanical Gardens with free roaming wild monkeys. Free car park near the Batik shop which is five minutes walk to the Garden entrance.
- Snake Temple with pit vipers - donation is optional if you are praying.
- Kek Lok Si Temple, only some sections require admission of RM2.
- Siamese Reclining Buddha Temple and Burmese Temple - free admission.
- Esplanade with Fort Cornwallis canon, "old" City Hall and Town Hall
- Penang State Museum - Entrance fees: 1 Ringgit (US 30 cents)
Leisure shopping, famly vacation or just chill out in Peanng
- 360 View of George Town from 6th floor car park of Prangin Mall or Gurney Plaza
- Gurney Drive, walk in the evening or morning
- Cross the sea channel by ferry, view Penang Bridge, RM1.20 round trip
- For DVD movies, CD music, computer software, head for Midland One Stop at Burmah Road, Bukit Jambul Complexs or Prangin Mall next to Komtar or the night stalls along the hotel belt at Batu Ferringhi.
- If you are fit, hike up to "84" rest-stop or all the way to Penang Hill via the tarred road at Botanical Gardens. Alternatively, like most tourists, take the funicular tram up Penang Hill - RM4 round trip.
Check out my related tips at Pulau Pinang, George Town, Bayan Lepas
Hope you will have a nice and unforgettable time in Penang.
Stayed here for a week for a corporate training program. The rooms are furnished with living room and bedrooms. So... more travel advice
3 Star Hotel with 200 air condition rooms and suite. Located conveniently at the Upper End of Penang Road, this hotel... more travel advice
- See All Sam Poh Footprint Temple, Batu Maung
- See All Buying fruits and local agriculture...
- See All Penang Famous "Curry Mee"
- "Titi Kerawang" Waterfalls
- See All Getting dizzy in the back seat
- See All Gurney Hotel hangout
- See All Penang State Mosque, Jalan Masjid Negeri
- See All Driving in Penang Island - challenging...
- See All Hiking on PWA water pipe trail
- See All Botanic Walk
- See All How to order food at hawker center
Been to Penang?Share your travels with the world!
SLLiew's Related Pages
Penang Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Penang - Prince of Wales Island"
- "Penang - my birthplace"
- "colourful FUSION of culture"
- "Penang for Foodies"
- "Penang My Home"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Penang
- Hotels in Penang
- Transportation in Penang
- Nightlife in Penang
- Restaurants in Penang
- Shopping in Penang
- Warnings and Dangers in Penang
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Penang
- 222 Reviews
- 311 Photos
- 108 Forum posts
- 88 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (60)
Have you been to Penang?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Penang
- Posted in Travel Penang Forum "Re: Penang hill"
- Commented on one of S.VTM's Penang travel pages
- Uploaded a Video to Penang
- Uploaded a Photo to "Bukit Jambul - Shop, cinema, bowl"
- updated a Penang Travelogue "Even more postcards from remote countries received"
- Wrote a Review Service Apartment in Batu Ferringhi in Penang Hotels
Photos in PenangSee All Photos (311)
Videos in PenangSee All Videos (2)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Penang Intro, 222 reviews, 311 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malaysia Intro, 125 reviews, 138 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beijing Intro, 119 reviews, 120 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore Intro, 96 reviews, 103 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asia Intro, 75 reviews, 85 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Medan Intro, 51 reviews, 79 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Japan Intro, 59 reviews, 70 photos
- Hong Kong Intro, 45 reviews, 59 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Thailand Intro, 48 reviews, 50 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 23 reviews, 61 photos, 5 travelogues