Batu Maung Things to Do Tips by SLLiew
Batu Maung Things to Do: 12 reviews and 16 photos
"Batu" in Malay means "rock" or "stone".
Batu Maung is located just south of the Penang International Airport.
It is easy reach by 3 routes
1) Scenic route of Bayan Lepas town passing through Malay stilt homes.
2) Short cut narrow road along the airport from junction opposite Snake Temple (Tokong Ular)
3) Fastest by bridge sea coastal road passing the factories.
Being a fishing village it has also many tourist attractions like Penang War Museum, Fisheries Aquarium, Sam Poh Footprint Temple and Batu Maung seafood restaurants.
"Teluk" in Malay means "bay' or "cove".
Teluk Kumbar is other coastal fishing village at the southern side of Penang Island. You will pass by it when going from Bayan Lepas to Balik Pulau using the southern coastal road. It is also a junction to turn into Gertak Sanggul.
I was amazed that all the old houses in the town have maroon rusty zinc roofs. Zinc was common roofing material, being cheaper than traditional terra cotta tiles or attap leave houses. It gives an impression of a shanty town.
Teluk Kumbar has a beach front and it is fun to stop over and enjoy the famous "Teluk Kumbar Mee Udang" which is prawn noodles cooked in Malay style. Pressed the lime juice to get the extra kick. Price per plate depending if you ask for additional giant prawns. Why not?
Pulau Kendi is a popular destination for longer anglers and boating enthusiasts.
You can easily hire a charter small boat from Gertak Sanggul or Teluk Kumbar to the island.
Main activities is fishing from boat or swimming in the sea. Be mindful of the water current, submerged rocks and branches or sea snakes and jelly fish. Always go with a local informed boatman or guide.
There are othere islands in Penang to explore too, including Pulau Aman, Pulau Gedung, Pulau Rimau and Pulau Betong. Monkey Beach is the main boating trip if you are in Batu Ferringhi area.
It always a personal impulse to walk to the end of a jetty whenever I see one. The one in Gertak Sanggul was not exception as a draw to go right up to the edge.
There always plenty of small fish and other surprises over the wooden boards. And locals doing line fishing and enjoying themselves in the hot sun even if the biting are few apart.
Then there is the horizon over the sea and to the nearby coast and islands as far as the eyes. This hemispherical scan reminding that the earth is not flat as provened by Christopher Columbus.
It is a scenic coastal ride from Teluk Kumbar to Gertak Sanggul.
Gertak Sanggul is a fishing willage at the most south western tip of Penang Island with pig farming and fruit orchards being the major activities.
It is a great place to charter a boat to go out fishing and to the neighboring islands of Kendi and Rimau.
There is a traditional Chinese coffee shop for a cuppa and to chat with the locals. Also there are new modern houses being if you want to retire in this placid idyllic bay area.
Apparently, once there was a plan to buy up the area for retiring Japanese senior citizens.
More Reviews (2)
SLLiew's Related Pages
Batu Maung Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Lest We Forget"
- "Batu Maung - Just south of airport"
- "Batu Maung"
- "- Batu Maung -"
- "Batu Maung-The other side of the world"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Batu Maung
- Transportation in Batu Maung
- Restaurants in Batu Maung
- Warnings and Dangers in Batu Maung
- See All...
Explore the World
- Asmara Hotels
- Manzanillo del Mar Hotels
- Palmeira Hotels
- Manitoulin Island Hotels
- Sidi Bou Said
- Bad Bramstedt
Badges & Stats in Batu Maung
- 7 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (63)
Have you been to Batu Maung?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Batu Maung
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Anyone travelling to remote or..."
- updated a Batu Maung Travel Page "Batu Maung - Just south of airport"
- Commented on one of l_joo's Batu Maung travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Batu Maung - Just south of airport"
- Wrote a Review Narrow jetty of Batu Maung in Batu Maung Warnings and Dangers
Photos in Batu MaungSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Penang Intro, 222 reviews, 311 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malaysia Intro, 125 reviews, 138 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beijing Intro, 119 reviews, 120 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore Intro, 96 reviews, 103 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asia Intro, 75 reviews, 85 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Medan Intro, 51 reviews, 79 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Japan Intro, 59 reviews, 70 photos
- Hong Kong Intro, 45 reviews, 59 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Thailand Intro, 48 reviews, 50 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 23 reviews, 61 photos, 5 travelogues