Bukit Mertajam Transportation Tips by SLLiew
Bukit Mertajam Transportation: 5 reviews and 8 photos
There are no trains in Penang Island if you discount the funicular tram up Penang Hill.
So taking the train from Butterworth to Bukit Mertajam could be the shortest train ride if you cross to Butterworth by ferry to the train station.
If you are using the Butterworth-Bangkok international train which leaves daily in the afternoon, the first station stop will be Bukit Mertajam and you can disembark.
Alternatively you could reach Bukit Mertajam by train from Arau, Alor Setar and Sungei Petani from the north or Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Ipoh and Taiping from the south.
At the ferry terminal at Penang Island side, there is a train ticket office. Do check the schedule available online and call if uncertain as train frequency is low these days.
You can ride Rapid Penang Bus on U701 and U702 from the Megamall Bus station at Seberang Jaya, Mainland Penang.
To get to Megamall, you can use U704, U705 coming from Penang Island using the Penang Bridge. Or you can cross the ferry from George Town to Butterworth and take any bus to Megamall.
There are other direct bus services from Penang Island into Bukit Mertajam.
Bukit Mertajam is also a bus hub for the neigbhoring small towns like Lunas, Penanti and Parit Buntar. Some of the old bus companies are still operating out of Bukit Mertajam as shown in the picture here. While the new buses are ful air conditioned, these old buses still have open windows.
The easiest way to get to Bukit Mertajam is using the road from Megamall Seberang Jaya via Permatang Tinggi towards Bukit Mertajam. About 2.5 km before the town, there are two alternate routes that leads to the town center.
At the junction, if you stay left, you will be using the newer slightly longer route but will by-pass the railway crossings. If you turn right, you will use a shorter route but have to cross two railway tracks.
There are many one way streets when driving around Bukit Mertajam town and easier to miss a turn. Fortunately, the pot holes of yesteryears are gone. Just be patient with the heavy traffic and many traffic lights with the narrow streets.
Type: Car/Motor Home
More Reviews (9)
SLLiew's Related Pages
Bukit Mertajam Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Mengkuang Dam, Bukit Mertjam"
- "Bukit Mertajam (BM)"
- "Bee's Birth Place"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bukit Mertajam
- Transportation in Bukit Mertajam
- Restaurants in Bukit Mertajam
- Warnings and Dangers in Bukit Mertajam
- See All...
Explore the World
- Cornwall Hotels
- Piedras Blancas Hotels
- State of Gujarat
- Pulau Papan Hotels
- Apollo Bay
- Llanberis Hotels
Badges & Stats in Bukit Mertajam
- 12 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (65)
Have you been to Bukit Mertajam?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bukit Mertajam
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Quick question: How to delete..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "BM Laksa one of the best"
- Wrote a Review Cendul - another popular dessert in Bukit Mertajam Restaurants
- updated a Bukit Mertajam Travel Page "Bukit Mertajam (BM)"
- Commented on one of mtaiwai's Bukit Mertajam travel pages
Photos in Bukit MertajamSee All Photos (19)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Penang Intro, 222 reviews, 311 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malaysia Intro, 125 reviews, 138 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beijing Intro, 119 reviews, 120 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore Intro, 96 reviews, 103 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asia Intro, 75 reviews, 85 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Medan Intro, 51 reviews, 79 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Japan Intro, 59 reviews, 70 photos
- Hong Kong Intro, 45 reviews, 59 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Thailand Intro, 48 reviews, 50 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 23 reviews, 61 photos, 5 travelogues