Bukit Mertajam Favorite Tips by SLLiew
Bukit Mertajam Favorites: 3 reviews and 4 photos
The new Church next door
Favorite thing: Picture 2 - Long ago, I remember St. Anne Church was small with everyone just gathering on the steps of stairs leading up to the Church and staying there on overnight during St. Anne's festival.
Picture 1 - Today, it has grown with a new Church with a large plaza for the large number of people who come here on the annual festival of St. Anne's Day.
Though the new church is bigger, the small older one always seem more significant and meaningful.
One year there was a tragedy when overcrowding at the passenger ferry terminal caused the collapse of the wooden flooring leading to death and injury. That year, many people were trying to get to the Penang Mainland to the St. Anne's festival while others were trying to get to Penang Island for the Birthday of the Goddess of Mercy celebrationg. Both events were happening on the same day. Today, the new passenger terminal has concrete floors.
Favorite thing: Bukit Mertajam was a major railway hub for both passengers and cargo.
If you drive to Bukit Mertajam, you will encounter a surprising number of railway crossings everywhere. There is one coming from the short cut from Permatang Tinggi and two coming from Permatang Tengah.
Reason is that the railway track from Singapore, Kuala Lumpur to Bangkok passes through and it is the major stop in Penang. The railway terminus from Butterworth joined up the main line at Bukit Mertajam.
Nowadays, there are more road overhead bridges over railway tracks and train passenger have dwindled. The golden age of railway has passed.
Favorite thing: Bukit Mertajam is famous for secondary schools in Penang Mainland for decades.
The Jit Sin Secondary School (formerly a Chinese medium schoo), Bukit Mertajam High School and BM Convent School (both formerly English medium schools).
It was in Bukit Mertajam where the first experimental governemnt project of a fully residential science secondary school in Penang was located and built.
Many students from smaller neighboring towns in Penang and Kedah would come here to attend schools as the bigger schools have classes in Form Four and above as well as Sixth Forms which were preparatory A-level classes for universities.
In the picture, the Jit Sin (Private) School is located right in the heart of town.
More Reviews (9)
SLLiew's Related Pages
Bukit Mertajam Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Mengkuang Dam, Bukit Mertjam"
- "Bukit Mertajam (BM)"
- "Bee's Birth Place"
- "Bukit Mertajam"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bukit Mertajam
- Transportation in Bukit Mertajam
- Restaurants in Bukit Mertajam
- Warnings and Dangers in Bukit Mertajam
- See All...
Explore the World
- Pyramids of Giza Hotels
- Popes Creek Hotels
- Pointe-Gatineau Hotels
- Meppel Hotels
Badges & Stats in Bukit Mertajam
- 12 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (63)
Have you been to Bukit Mertajam?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bukit Mertajam
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Anyone travelling to remote or..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "BM Laksa one of the best"
- Wrote a Review Cendul - another popular dessert in Bukit Mertajam Restaurants
- updated a Bukit Mertajam Travel Page "Bukit Mertajam (BM)"
- Commented on one of mtaiwai's Bukit Mertajam travel pages
Photos in Bukit MertajamSee All Photos (19)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Penang Intro, 222 reviews, 311 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malaysia Intro, 125 reviews, 138 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beijing Intro, 119 reviews, 120 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore Intro, 96 reviews, 103 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asia Intro, 75 reviews, 85 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Medan Intro, 51 reviews, 79 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Japan Intro, 59 reviews, 70 photos
- Hong Kong Intro, 45 reviews, 59 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Thailand Intro, 48 reviews, 50 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 23 reviews, 61 photos, 5 travelogues