Seremban Local Custom Tips by SLLiew Top 5 Page for this destination
Seremban Local Customs: 6 reviews and 6 photos
In Seremban, you will find most of the staff in the government offices, banks, police station and post office are Malays.
Almost all Malay women usually wear a Muslim head scarf and so it is easy for any tourist to know who is Malay.
Most of Malays live outside the down town in their villages or the new housing flats and residential areas.
Along Jalan Yam Tuan, you will see most of the shops are Indian owned. It is like "Little India".
During the British era, many laborers from English ruled India came to Malaysia to work in the rubber plantations as well as in building raliways, roads and construction.
Unlike Chinese immigrants who were predominantly Buddhist or Taoists, the Indians are more diverse when it comes to religion. They could be HIndus, Christians, Muslims or Sikhs. While you harldy see any Malaysian Chinese wearing cheongsam or sanfu except during special occasions like weddings, you will see many Indians wearing their ethnic traditional wear like saris.
Seremban is called "Fuyong". The tin mining attracted many Chinese immigrants to Negri Sembilan.
When you see the prewar house shoplots, you will see many shop signs with Chinese characters. This is because many of the older Malaysian Chinese do not read English or Malay and can only understand Chinese characters.
As with many towns, most of the local Chinese live in newer residential areas are outside of the downtown areas where one can have a garden and a place to park a car or two.
The ethnic Chinese are still the majority of the town dwellers.
More Reviews (15)
SLLiew's Related Pages
Seremban Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Seremban - Capital of Negri Sembilan"
- "Seremban - Capital of the Ninth State"
- "Seremban - Mini Town"
- "Seremban - State Capital of Negeri Sembilan"
- "Seremban! Seremban! Seremban!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Seremban
- Hotels in Seremban
- Transportation in Seremban
- Nightlife in Seremban
- Restaurants in Seremban
- Shopping in Seremban
- Warnings and Dangers in Seremban
- See All...
Explore the World
- Dolalghat Hotels
- Salvador da Bahia
- Cebu Island Hotels
- Christian Island Hotels
- South Padre Island
- Key Largo
- New Caledonia
- Hammond Hotels
- Tangmarg Hotels
- Cannon Beach Hotels
- Zell am See
- Beverly Hills
- Gorai Hotels
- Rajgurunagar Hotels
- Bellevue Hotels
Badges & Stats in Seremban
- 18 Reviews
- 21 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (63)
Have you been to Seremban?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Seremban
Photos in SerembanSee All Photos (21)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Penang Intro, 222 reviews, 311 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malaysia Intro, 125 reviews, 138 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beijing Intro, 119 reviews, 120 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore Intro, 96 reviews, 103 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asia Intro, 75 reviews, 85 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Medan Intro, 51 reviews, 79 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Japan Intro, 59 reviews, 70 photos
- Hong Kong Intro, 45 reviews, 59 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Thailand Intro, 48 reviews, 50 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 23 reviews, 61 photos, 5 travelogues
Latest Seremban hotel reviews