Java Things to Do Tips by SLLiew Top 5 Page for this destination
Java Things to Do: 21 reviews and 35 photos
A beautifully cheorographed Ramayana nightly outdoor performance with the Prambahan Hindu temple complex in the background. A major tourist attraction. It is a short distance from Yogyakarta and worth seeing as there is not much to do at night at Yogya anyway.
Ramayana is a Hindu epic of good vs evil where the Monkey Hanuman save the Queen Shinta from the demon who has kidnapped her.
After show, the tourists get to take a photo with the performers.
There is still a living line of Yogya kings. There is long traditional of court culture, pomp and festivals. Was too late to visit the Royal palace but saw the traditional architecture from the outside. Apparently there is a royal ritual of washing palace heirlooms with water and rose petals every year and a scramble by the public to collect the water and rose petals thought to have mystic power.
Solo, a nearby town, is another royal town. The river Solo is the origin of the famous Indonesian song "Begawan Solo" describing life as the journey of the river from the source to the sea.
At the heart of sprawling Jakarta, this a huge square with a landmark obelisk Monumun Nasional (Monas) or National Monument. Bought ticket to go up for a panaromic view but the queue to go up the elevator, gave up.
Instead spent time to visit a museum at the basement of the tower which have 48 dioramas depicting major history events of Indonesia. Was surprised to see many battle scenes between the Indonesian and Dutch conquest and later the fight for independence. Very educational experience.
This amazing Buddhist Monument is a like a small hill in the middle of the Kedu plain of rice fields with coconut trees and distant volcanoes with Mt. Merapi looming in the background.
There are 4 terraces with panels of sculpture depicting stories and symbolism of the life of Buddha before and after enlightenment and the as you go up the higher form of achievement towards Nirvana (Enlightenment). On the highest terrace are Buddha statues and stupas. It is a panormic view up there.
When climbing the steps, turn left at each terrace and go around in a clockwise direction to follow the narration.
With a guide, you will be become an expert of Buddhism after reaching the top. Take your time to enjoy this world wonder.
Address: A day trip from Yogyakarta.
A fascinating thing to do is to be up in dawn and driven to outer rim of a volcano crater, then walk down which was steep and dark and so finally sat on a pony led by rope of the pony owner who walked the way. Then crossed the crater until the steps to climb up the caldera of Mt. Bromo, a volcano within a volcano.
It was wonderful to feel cool air, the crowded excitement as the sun rise to illuminate the giant crater and and all the volconic cones inside the crater and the surrounding volcanoes in the distance.
Can see smoke coming out of the active Mt. Bromo creating an uneasy fear of when it will suddenly explode again.
It is quite a distance to get here but worth coming if you are crossing between Java and Bali as it is located at eastern tip of Java island.
Recommend a tour to arrange for all the transport including the overnight accommodation at Ngadisari.
Address: Tengger highlands, East Java
More Reviews (8)
- Books on Javanese diverse culture
- Convention Hotel near sea, Jakarta
- Staying at a wealthy Javanese home
SLLiew's Related Pages
Java Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Central Java"
- "Java - Pulau Jawa"
- "The Island of Java."
- ">> one of the main destinations in indonesia..."
- "Imogiri, a gateway to heaven"
- "Kiosk Bensin"
- "JAVA INDONESIA ONE OF THE MANY ISLANDS HERE"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Java
- Hotels in Java
- Transportation in Java
- Nightlife in Java
- Restaurants in Java
- Shopping in Java
- Warnings and Dangers in Java
- See All...
Explore the World
- Birkhadem Hotels
- Hornborgasjön Hotels
- Buena Park Hotels
- San Francisco del Monte Hotels
Badges & Stats in Java
- 13 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 19 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (63)
Have you been to Java?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Java
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Penang Intro, 222 reviews, 311 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malaysia Intro, 125 reviews, 138 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beijing Intro, 119 reviews, 120 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore Intro, 96 reviews, 103 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asia Intro, 75 reviews, 85 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Medan Intro, 51 reviews, 79 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Japan Intro, 59 reviews, 70 photos
- Hong Kong Intro, 45 reviews, 59 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Thailand Intro, 48 reviews, 50 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 23 reviews, 61 photos, 5 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (204)
Latest Java hotel reviews
- Borobudur Jakarta Hotel
- 1 Review & Opinion