"Finding Paradise" Top 5 Page for this destination Dunk Island by divandrea

Dunk Island Travel Guide: 64 reviews and 79 photos

I'm the luckiest girl in the world

Ok, I know. Almost nobody can afford a posh 5-star-luxury-resort on a tiny island off the queensland cost. Neither could I. That's why I'm the luckiest girl in the world. I won this amazing trip in some Finding Nemo Internet competition. One of those competitions, where you don't really believe, that anybody will ever win anything - and I don't even remember on what homepage I found the oh-so-difficult question "What kind of Fish is Nemo?". Anyway, weeks later, when I found out about me winning this trip, I almost fainted. And that's how I ended up on Dunk Island, the Isle of Peace and Plenty. In a resort, where the upgrade for seafront view is more expensive than any hotelroom I ever booked in my entire life. And it was just amazing and absolutely unforgettable. For months between winning the trip and then finally travelling to Australia, I had been imagining about the beauty of this place. My expectations where so high, I could actually only be disappointed. But the opposite happend: reality was even better than my dreams.
In front of every room there was a bowl with beautiful and exotic little flowers swimming around. At night, the paths from all the buildings to the main house were enlighten with torches and candles and just everywhere you saw the trade-mark of Dunk Island - in real and as the official emblem of the resort - the beautiful blue Ulysses butterfly.
Every night, when the boat with all the day tourists, went back to mainland, we (oh, yes, it was a trip for two) knew: in any normal circumstances, this would be us. That's when we started gloating, just a tiny little bit.

Time goes by so fast

Before arriving on beautiful Dunk Island, we made plans on how to spend three days on a tiny tropical island. The Spa just sounded absolutely breathtaking. And since anything else was for free, we had money for some luxury treatment. We had been dreaming of a bath in the middle of a rainforest, talking about massages with exotic oils and of course those facials that make you feel like a supermodel. Or almost. And what treatments did we end up having in the Spa of Peace and Plenty? None. We were just too busy enjoing all the beautiful beaches, the nice hammocks and snorkling around the island, that in the end we even didn't see the Spa. Honestly, our days were just packed. We had to see all the beaches, we were working on our tan, had to drink cosmopolitans at one of the pool bars, we were enjoing the magnifiscent food - and at once, time was up.

Peace & Plenty after the Island of Peace & Plenty

Returning to your normal travel rhytm after three days of luxury and decadence on Dunk Island could have been really difficult. But it wasn't. Because we returned to another place, that was just paradise. Only in another way. After Dunk Island we spent a few days in Sanctuary Retreat in Mission Beach. An eco lodge in the mittle of the rainforest. A twenty minute walk up a steep hill away from all other civilisation, there are dozens of little hats without all the five star luxury. The luxury about Santuary is just being allowed in this small world away from everything else. You fall asleep and are awaken with the sounds of the rainforest. Everywhere you come across ecotic birds, little wallabies and if you're really lucky (we were, even twice) one of the endangered cassowaries. It was so peaceful, I even went to my first ever yoga lesson. In the middle of the rainforest, I was completely at peace with my inner self. (it sounds kitschy, I know that. But at that point, it was true).
It all started with Finding Nemo and it ended with Finding Paradise. Before I always was convinced, that there is no "paradise on earth". That there must be so much exaggeration and so many expectations in this expression, that can never be fulfilled. But I truly found it for myself, paradise on earth. And even twice in one week. I might have had to go to the other end of the world to find it, but it was all worth while (and part of it even for free ;-))

• Pros:just amazing!
  • Cons:it's just really expensive, but all worth while!
  • In a nutshell:Tropical Island at it's best!
  • Last visit to Dunk Island: Oct 2004
  • Intro Updated Mar 4, 2006

Comments

divandrea

“Travel in Style”

Badges & Stats in Dunk Island

Have you been to Dunk Island?

Latest Activity in Dunk Island