"The Definitive Guide to Charleston, SC" Top 5 Page for this destination Charleston by TheTravelingNerd

Charleston Travel Guide: 800 reviews and 1,760 photos

Charleston, SC The Best Southern City in America

In a homage to my home town I want to give you the best tips and tricks on what to see and what to do. My fondest memories are of growing up in Charleston (aka Chucktown). I moved back 2 years ago after some time in NYC & LA, so I think I have a unique perspective on my beloved city. Please read, enjoy and come to Charleston!!!

P.S. If there's any way I can make any of my tips more helpful PLEASE let me know :)

A Brief History

Charleston began in 1670 on the Charleston peninsula which is known to us now as Downtown Charleston. It was a favorite of pirates in the early years so to combat this the King of England built as many churches as the then walled city could fit. Charleston then became and is currently known as the "Holy City". Most of these churches are still here today. The most well known is St. Phillips which is the tallest church in the city.

Charleston is home to the first theater in the U.S. the Dock Street Theater. The Dock Street Theater is still an amazing place it is still in its original glory. You can still see plays there just as you would a century ago.

Fort Sumter is where the first shots of the Civil War were fired. Charleston has the very first cultured and also wild garden in the U.S. and almost every historical U.S. figure has visited here (Washington, Franklin, Lincoln).

Most of the original buildings are still here and well preserved. We host the annual Spoleto Arts Festival and the Moja Arts Festival and the food here is amazing so there are alot of food festivals.

Charleston has so much history from pirates to Gullah culture that I can't do it justice in just this one paragraph so please read all of the pages. THANKS!!!!

P.S. We were voted friendliest city more than once and I must say it's very true.

Always adding more pics

Ok I'm going out and taking pics of all my favorite things here. I got some great pics today. I'll go to the beach soon and get some shots there as well. Keep checkin' back in for new stuff.

I took this pic of this old live oak tree last spring. It is in the gardens at Middleton Place Plantation on the banks of the Ashley river and is well over 1,000 years old!!! It's HUGE. amazing.

• Pros:Beautiful Landscapes, Architecture, Culture, Southern Hospitality, Beaches, Weather, Diversity, History, Pirates, Azaleas and FOOD
  • Cons:Very conservative (which can be a plus depending on your views)
  • In a nutshell:This is the true gem of the South
  • Intro Updated May 7, 2007

• Oct 14, 2009 at 8:17 AM

down for parents' weekend, went to juanitas monday night - tacos were tremendous our server, abby, swore she wasn't from the south but her professionalism, charm and southern hospitality made me think she must have been born and raised in charleston!

• Nov 14, 2008 at 1:10 PM

IOP is the most crowded touristy beach. Folly may seem more crowed, it has only one road in & out. Look around, you can park in many places along the beach, don't follow the traffic if you want to find a nice spot.

• circulon3000's Profile Photo
    Jul 6, 2006 at 2:55 AM

Your page is great! My husband and I are moving to Charleston for a year, and i admit i was a bit worried that we'd get bored there (we're both in our late 20's), but your page has re-confirmed my desire to experience Charleston living! Beck

• icunme's Profile Photo
    Apr 15, 2006 at 3:22 PM

Great photos and super detailed tips. I bought many handmade quilts at county fairs in this area in the late '60's. ciao, Carol

• Travmad's Profile Photo
    Mar 27, 2006 at 6:50 PM

Hi Angie: Glad to read that you like to travel. I like the way you've aranged you pages. Good Job!! Jim

TheTravelingNerd Lives Here!

TheTravelingNerd

“There are no boring places...only boring people”

Badges & Stats in Charleston

Have you been to Charleston?

Friends