"Imperial city of Chinese treasures" Beijing by cheezecake_deli
Beijing Travel Guide: 6,338 reviews and 15,979 photos
Beijing is a city that has gone by other names - Yanjing, Dadu, Khanbaliq and, as recent as a century ago, Beiping. Inhabited for thousands of years, it is located at the northern boundary of the traditional Han Chinese world - indeed, it has been, at times, outside the control of the Chinese altogether (for instance, as the capital of the Mongol state of Jin in the 13th century). Despite this, it has played a central role in Chinese politics since the Yuan dynasty, and even the Communist party moved their seat of government here after establishing the PRC. Much of the cultural heritage of Beijing, such as the Forbidden City, Temple of Heaven and both Summer Palaces, date from the Ming and Qing dynasties, 500+ years that saw much grand building work in the city. As the capital city, Beijing's importance in modern Chinese history also cannot be understated. It was to Tiananmen Square that the Red Guards flocked, in the 1960s, to listen to Mao and it was here, in 1989, that a bloody suppression of popular protest was made in front of the world's cameras. Beijing has moved on from that notorious event, to a rollercoaster ride in the new millennium: orchestrating a booming economy, building for the Olympic Games, and managing increasing competition from other Chinese cities (chiefly Shanghai, Hong Kong and Guangzhou).
Beijing should be on the itinerary of every traveller to China, at least once and preferably several times. It is a veritable treasure house of imperial Chinese architecture and art, but is also a modern city of skyscrapers, ring roads and subways. The city may seem slightly alienating at first - you're more likely to notice the 10-lane traffic, incessant noise and pollution - but scratch below this surface and there is a whole world of Chinese treasures to be discovered. There is easily enough to see in a week, but, to really appreciate all that is on offer in Beijing and around, you will need weeks, if not a lifetime. My advice is not to be too ambitious: choose what you want to see in the time that you have, everything else will just have to wait for the next trip! Unlike, say, Shanghai or Hong Kong, the main highlights of Beijing are definitely cultural, so it helps if you have some basic knowledge of Chinese history.
Top 5 sights:
1. The Temple of Heaven
2. The Forbidden City
3. The Summer Palace (Yiheyuan)
4. The Great Wall of China
5. Prince Gong's Mansion
Heck, there's so much more:
6. The hutongs
7. Jingshan Park
8. Beihai Park
9. The Ming tombs
10. Tiananmen Square
Quanjude is a chain of restaurants specialising in Peking duck, with branches in several Chinese cities. I went to the... more travel advice
Bored of the Forbidden City and Tiananmen Square? Wangfujing Street, Oxford Street shopping Chinese-style, is two blocks... more travel advice
cheezecake_deli's Related Pages
Beijing Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Northern Capital"
- "Beijing - Imperial Peking"
- "My wonderful Beijing"
- "Beijing: from the Forbidden City to the Great Wall"
- "Beijing - The Northern Capital"
- "Beijing (北京)"
- "Beijing----gives you much more than you expected!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Beijing
- Hotels in Beijing
- Transportation in Beijing
- Nightlife in Beijing
- Restaurants in Beijing
- Shopping in Beijing
- Warnings and Dangers in Beijing
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Beijing
- 18 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Beijing?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Beijing
- Posted in Travel London Forum "Re: Heathrow to Central London..."
- Commented on one of nepalgoods's Beijing travel pages
- Wrote a Review Taxi cheats about Taxis/Pedicabs in Beijing Warnings and Dangers
- Uploaded a Photo to "Tiantan Park"
- updated a Beijing Travel Page "Imperial city of Chinese treasures"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Shanghai Intro, 78 reviews, 86 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 56 reviews, 67 photos, 1 travelogue
- Hangzhou Intro, 24 reviews, 35 photos, 1 travelogue
- Phumi Siem Reab Intro, 24 reviews, 35 photos, 1 travelogue
- Stockholm Intro, 21 reviews, 23 photos
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 19 reviews, 22 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Suzhou Intro, 15 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Mürren Intro, 17 reviews, 22 photos
- Beijing Intro, 18 reviews, 20 photos
- Edinburgh Intro, 12 reviews, 15 photos