"the diamond city" Surat by tranceperent
Surat Travel Guide: 7 reviews and 12 photos
Mahabharat i.e. about year 3,000 B.C. It is said that Lord Krishna stopped with his cows on his transition from Mathura to Dwarka city and the images of the cow's foot prints are still visible to the devotees at a place popularly called "Gai Pagli" (Foot steps of cows)..
In old Sanskrit scriptures, reference of "" is prominent area comprised of the entire South Gujarat belt. Western Chalukyas conquered Lata Pradesh in 610 AD and thereafter Hindu domain continued upto 12th century, when Kutb-ud-din, the general of Muhammad Shahb-ud-din Ghori penetrated upto Rander town.
Sir T. Herbert (1626) identified Surat with Muziris of Ptolemy and Ogilby. More lately, Surat has been supposed to be Hiouan Thsang's (625-640) "Sow-ra-ta", a trading city on the western shore near Gujarat. But according to Reinaud, this is not Surat on the river Tapi, but Sorath or Kathiawar and this view is now generally received by all.
The municipality of Surat was established as long ago as 1852 and since then civic amenities like hospitals, public gardens,etc. have gradually been growing.
today surat is one of the prime trading city, with textile mills and diamond cutting factories.
diamonds cut from surat reach markets around the globe
- Pros:great food
- Cons:no alchohol
- In a nutshell:fun loving people
the city of surat comes under non-alcohol state of gujarat. so no alcohol is served in surat, except for some 5 star... more travel advice
tranceperent's Related Pages
Surat Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Surat Experience"
- "Surat - the Diamond City!!!"
- "the diamond city"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Surat
- 2 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Surat?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Surat
Top 10 Pages
- Mumbai Intro, 26 reviews, 41 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pune Intro, 11 reviews, 21 photos
- Helsinki Intro, 5 reviews, 13 photos
- Hong Kong Intro, 4 reviews, 7 photos
- New Delhi Intro, 4 reviews, 6 photos
- Goa Intro, 4 reviews, 5 photos
- Shanghai Intro, 2 reviews, 7 photos
- Ko Phi Phi Don Intro, 1 review, 8 photos
- Kochi Intro, 2 reviews, 4 photos
- Surat Intro, 2 reviews, 4 photos