"ANNAPOLIS" Top 5 Page for this destination Annapolis by globetrotter_2006
Annapolis Travel Guide: 225 reviews and 554 photos
In August of 2005 we took a nice day trip to Annapolis. We left Washington DC early in the morning, and arrived in downtown Annapolis about half an hour later. We have arranged a walking tour through out the city, and although the weather was unbearable I can not complain as the tour guide was dressed up from head to toe in colonial wear. We started off at the visitor's center in the Harbor, and made our way to the Naval Acamedy stopping along the way to hear the Tour Guide tell us about the rich history of the city.
We spend a good amount of time in the Naval Academy. It has so much history that it was hard to keep up with the guide. We had a chance to walk into Brancroft Hall. It has a gorgeous rotunda, and great architecture. At the entrance you will see several bells, one of them is only rung when Navy beats Army in Football, and the other bell when Navy wins in any sporting event. We saw the Herndon Monument, and its tradition as well as the Navy Chapel. Right under the Chapel is the Crypt of John Paul Jones, the Father of the U.S. Navy. Fron the Naval Academy we made our way to the Maryland State House, the oldest functioning State House in the United States.
After the walking tour, we needed to cool down & eat. We went into Ram's Head Taven for food, water, and beer. We must of stayed here for several hours cooling down from the afternoon heat. As the sun went down, we made our way to the Harbor to go into our two hour sunset cruide through the bay. Overall, it was a great day in a gorgeous city full of history.
This is a gorgeous Chapel in which Mass and Wedding Ceremonies take place. more travel advice
Within the Naval Academy, you will find a gorgeous street where all the high ranking officers live. more travel advice
globetrotter_2006's Related Pages
Annapolis Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Capitol of Boat Shows"
- "ANNAPOLIS, MARYLAND--Historic Chesapeake Bay area"
- "Annapolis during a Maryland and Delaware Interlude"
- "A City Within a City"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Annapolis
- Hotels in Annapolis
- Transportation in Annapolis
- Nightlife in Annapolis
- Restaurants in Annapolis
- Shopping in Annapolis
- Warnings and Dangers in Annapolis
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Annapolis
- 25 Reviews
- 68 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Annapolis?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Annapolis
Photos in AnnapolisSee All Photos (68)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 236 reviews, 1086 photos, 4 travelogues
- Tulum Intro, 53 reviews, 261 photos, 7 travelogues
- Tallinn Intro, 40 reviews, 192 photos, 2 travelogues
- Vancouver Intro, 39 reviews, 145 photos, 3 travelogues
- Riga Intro, 35 reviews, 142 photos
- Reykjavík Intro, 32 reviews, 134 photos, 1 travelogue
- Dublin Intro, 40 reviews, 124 photos, 4 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 30 reviews, 120 photos, 1 travelogue
- Makarska Intro, 23 reviews, 100 photos, 2 travelogues
- Ibiza Intro, 19 reviews, 103 photos, 5 travelogues