"Monastery Our lady of Saint-Benedict- Achel" Achel by globetrotter_2006
Achel Travel Guide: 17 reviews and 70 photos
It was my love for beer that brought me back to Belgium to check out the Trappist Monasteries. I was hoping to check out all six of them, but Chimay & Roquefort were left out this time around. Achel was the very first one on our list. I had made plans with Johan to meet here for a beer on Saturday, August 19th.
It was a short drive from Brussels, probably shorter if you know where you are going. With me were my Grandmother, my Aunt, and my friend Harry. We arrive around 1400 hrs. This Monastery is right at the border of Belgium and the Netherlands. Many people simply ride their bikes over the beer to enjoy the afternoon at the Monastery.
There are several entrances, but we entered through the Monastery Souvenir Store entrance. Next to the Store is an Art Collection Store where you can purchase religious paintings & scultures. The Cafeteria is very simple, contrary to my believe. I actually thought it was going to be a restaurant, but you can't get much more there than a ham & cheese sandwitch. It was ok with me, because I really wanted to sit down and enjoy their beer. As you walk into the Cafeteria look to your left and you will see part of the Brewery.
Around 1500 hrs the afternoon prayers take place inside the Monastery, and we had a chance to walk into the Church. The Monastery also has a Food Market where you can buy not only food, but beer from Achel as well as some of the other Trappist Beers. The Market has a great collection of glasses. I would actually say they had the best collection of Trappist Beer Glasses out of all the Monasteries I visited.
By walking around the monastery you can get a better feel as to what the daily life is like within the abbey. more travel advice
The Church is many time the center of the Abbey. Out of the Trappist Churches I was in (Achel, Westvleteren and Orval),... more travel advice
globetrotter_2006's Related Pages
Achel Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Monastery Our lady of Saint-Benedict- Achel"
- "Achelse Kluis"
- "Achel, Noord-Brabant"
- "Monastery at Achelse Kluis"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Achel
- 9 Reviews
- 48 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Achel?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Achel
- Posted in Travel Washington D.C. Forum "Re: walking in the Mall"
- updated a Achel Travel Page "Monastery Our lady of Saint-Benedict- Achel"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Walk around the outside of the Abbey"
- Wrote a Review Walk around the outside of the Abbey in Achel Things to Do
- Commented on one of OlafS's Achel travel pages
Photos in AchelSee All Photos (48)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 236 reviews, 1086 photos, 4 travelogues
- Tulum Intro, 53 reviews, 261 photos, 7 travelogues
- Tallinn Intro, 40 reviews, 192 photos, 2 travelogues
- Vancouver Intro, 39 reviews, 145 photos, 3 travelogues
- Riga Intro, 35 reviews, 142 photos
- Reykjavík Intro, 32 reviews, 134 photos, 1 travelogue
- Dublin Intro, 40 reviews, 124 photos, 4 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 30 reviews, 120 photos, 1 travelogue
- Makarska Intro, 23 reviews, 100 photos, 2 travelogues
- Ibiza Intro, 19 reviews, 103 photos, 5 travelogues