"IRELAND'S NATIONAL MARIAN SHRINE" Knock by globetrotter_2006

Knock Travel Guide: 23 reviews and 39 photos

On Tuesday, Jan. 3rd 2006, Harry & I took a religious pilgrimage to Knock where on the 21st of August 1879, fifteen people of varying ages witnessed over a period of two hours the apparition of Our Lady, St. Joseph and St. John the Evangelist on the Gable of the Church.

To the right, in the center of the Gable, was a plain altar on which stood a lamb. Behind the lamb, a large cross stood upright. Angels hovered around the lamb for the duration of the apparition which was enveloped in a havenly light.

Two official Church Commissions of Enquiry, one in 1879 and the second in 1936 found "that the testimony of the witnesses, taken as a whole, was trustworthy and satisfactory".

On September 30th 1979, Pope John Paul II honoured Knock Shrine by his visit and by his gift to the Shrine of the Golden Rose. His pilgrimaded inspired an even greater devotion to the Shrine and endorsed the seal of Vatican approval. Mother Teresa of Calcutta visited the Shrine in June of 1993. One and a half million pilgrims visit the Shrine annually.

It was Harry's idea to take the pilgrimage to Knock to visit the shrine. He is a highly devoted Catholic who is now in the Seton Hall Seminary, and will soon, God willing, become a priest. Thanks to him, my liver took a rest from the Pubs in Dublin, and I had a chance to do a little praying of my own.

Thanks Harry !!!

• Last visit to Knock: Jan 2006
  • Intro Updated Apr 7, 2006

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Feb 22, 2007 at 8:27 AM

A long bus journey & then peace and quiet in this lovely place = Had heard of the Shrine here - now I know somethings about it - thanks

• Diana75's Profile Photo
    Jul 16, 2006 at 2:10 PM

Your page is a wonderful surprise. I have visited some pilgrimage places in Europe, but never heard of Knock before. Harry had a great idea and thank you for sharing it with us.

• Maxus's Profile Photo
    Jul 6, 2006 at 10:33 AM

I love your knock page, it deserves cult status. The monument and tree that was erected in memory of Fr. Joseph Traffe has really made my day, fantastic

• RickinDutch's Profile Photo
    Jul 1, 2006 at 11:03 AM

Nicely done tips. I'm embarassed to say (as a Catholic) I had never heard of Knock.

Badges & Stats in Knock