"IRELAND'S NATIONAL MARIAN SHRINE" Knock by globetrotter_2006
Knock Travel Guide: 23 reviews and 39 photos
On Tuesday, Jan. 3rd 2006, Harry & I took a religious pilgrimage to Knock where on the 21st of August 1879, fifteen people of varying ages witnessed over a period of two hours the apparition of Our Lady, St. Joseph and St. John the Evangelist on the Gable of the Church.
To the right, in the center of the Gable, was a plain altar on which stood a lamb. Behind the lamb, a large cross stood upright. Angels hovered around the lamb for the duration of the apparition which was enveloped in a havenly light.
Two official Church Commissions of Enquiry, one in 1879 and the second in 1936 found "that the testimony of the witnesses, taken as a whole, was trustworthy and satisfactory".
On September 30th 1979, Pope John Paul II honoured Knock Shrine by his visit and by his gift to the Shrine of the Golden Rose. His pilgrimaded inspired an even greater devotion to the Shrine and endorsed the seal of Vatican approval. Mother Teresa of Calcutta visited the Shrine in June of 1993. One and a half million pilgrims visit the Shrine annually.
It was Harry's idea to take the pilgrimage to Knock to visit the shrine. He is a highly devoted Catholic who is now in the Seton Hall Seminary, and will soon, God willing, become a priest. Thanks to him, my liver took a rest from the Pubs in Dublin, and I had a chance to do a little praying of my own.
Thanks Harry !!!
We took the bus from Dublin to Knock and back. It took about four and a half hours each way, but it was well worth... more travel advice
I took a nice walk by the Cementary and the Folk Museum, and enjoyed the silence, peace & quiet. more travel advice
globetrotter_2006's Related Pages
Knock Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "IRELAND'S NATIONAL MARIAN SHRINE"
- "knock,knock whose there ?"
- "**...KNOCK, COUNTY MAYO...**"
- "Praise the Lord !!!!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Knock
- Hotels in Knock
- Transportation in Knock
- Warnings and Dangers in Knock
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Knock
- 13 Reviews
- 21 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Knock?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Knock
Photos in KnockSee All Photos (21)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 236 reviews, 1086 photos, 4 travelogues
- Tulum Intro, 53 reviews, 261 photos, 7 travelogues
- Tallinn Intro, 40 reviews, 192 photos, 2 travelogues
- Vancouver Intro, 39 reviews, 145 photos, 3 travelogues
- Riga Intro, 35 reviews, 142 photos
- Reykjavík Intro, 32 reviews, 134 photos, 1 travelogue
- Dublin Intro, 40 reviews, 124 photos, 4 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 30 reviews, 120 photos, 1 travelogue
- Makarska Intro, 23 reviews, 100 photos, 2 travelogues
- Ibiza Intro, 19 reviews, 103 photos, 5 travelogues