"Bieszczady Valleys" Bieszczady by lemkouk
Bieszczady Travel Guide: 34 reviews and 90 photos
These three sub-groups of Ukrainians inhabited these low mountains for centuries. Before WWI, this was the province of Galicia in the Austro-Hungarian Empire. Because of exploding populations and unsuitable splitting of heriditary lands, many found themselves facing abject povery or emmigration. Those who emmigrated to Canada founded farms in the expanding prarie provinces of Canda, were miners in the Alberta coal deposits, or found manufacturing jobs in large centres all across the country. In their prosparity, many sent money home to Bieszczady. After WWII what remained of the Ukrainians in Poland went through a horrible re-settlement under the communists. Many were simply shot. Today, what remains of these rural communities are the churches which are being restored after decades of neglect or having been used for profane uses. Exploring the villages and their churches is a delight.
- Pros:Delightful old-world communities.
- Cons:You need a good map to find your way.
- In a nutshell:Bieszczady has hidden gems in every valley.
(Ukrainian: Mochary) This tserkva served a parish of 700 before the banishment. It was built in 1903 replacing an... more travel advice
(Ukrainian: Rivnya) This is an early 18th century tserkva in Boyko style. Each of its three log chambers is square.... more travel advice
lemkouk's Related Pages
Bieszczady Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bieszczady-still wild"
- "Wonderful wilderness of the Bieszczady Mountains"
- "Bieszczady Valleys"
- "In the wilderness"
- "Poland's forgotten spiritual heart"
- "Hiking in Bieszczady area"
- "Bieszczady Mountains in Autumn"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bieszczady
- Hotels in Bieszczady
- Transportation in Bieszczady
- Restaurants in Bieszczady
- Warnings and Dangers in Bieszczady
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bieszczady
- 9 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Bieszczady?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bieszczady
Photos in BieszczadySee All Photos (16)
Top 5 Pages
- Bieszczady Intro, 9 reviews, 16 photos
- New Hamburg Intro, 8 reviews, 16 photos
- Dnipropetrovsk Intro, 5 reviews, 14 photos
- Sevastopol' Intro, 6 reviews, 10 photos
- Zaporizhzhya Intro, 4 reviews, 11 photos
No friends yet.