"Pulau Semakau Intertidal Walk" Pulau Semakau by y_lyn

Pulau Semakau Travel Guide: 15 reviews and 30 photos

2 weeks ago, I went to Raffles Museum of Biodiversity Research website and was surprised that there were vacancies for intertidal walk at Pulau Semakau in 2 weeks' time. Usually, for this type of walk, we got to book it a few months before the activity. Thus, I quickly emailed the person-in-charge for the details and reserved 2 places for adults. (Heehee.... hubby was being "forced" to accompany me). Think I am quite a naturalist and I don't mind waking up at wee hours to go for the intertidal walk whereas for him, I think he prefers to be in bed at 4am. Yes, we got to wake up at 4am as we need to reach Marina South Pier by 5.15am to catch the ferry. When we reached there, we were being introduced to 2 guides - HSBC volunteers and were told our group name was "Puffer Fish" :) We departed to Semakau at 5.30am and the journey was about 1 hour.

Reached the island, and we got to use the washroom first before we proceed. We walked along a long road for half an hour, then trekked through a patch of forest for about 5 minutes (we walked very fast cos scared of mozzies). My group was the first group ahead. We explored the place, the various marine creatures, saw many different types of starfish.. After taking photos of the starfish, we were told that we got to go back to the shelter because a storm is coming. All of us rushed to the shelter with our poncho put on as it started to pour. Some of the groups were very disappointed as they had not seen the starfish and many other interesting ones yet.

After waiting at the shelter for about 15 - 20 minutes, the sky started to clear and the rain stopped. The in-charge asked whether we would still like to go back to the intertidal area and most people said yes. Thus, we got to trekked through the forest again before reaching the intertidal place. Upon returning, I managed to spot a big sea cucumber and also took photo with a knobbly star-fish.

• Last visit to Pulau Semakau: Jul 2009
  • Intro Updated Jul 18, 2009

• Martin_S.'s Profile Photo
    Feb 21, 2012 at 4:49 AM

Is it possible to reserve those walks from outside the country? And do you know what happens if for some reason you cannot make the date, say a flight is canceled or delayed? Can the walk be done without the guides or are they required? I tried accessing the link you gave, but with no success :o((
    Martin

• Gillybob's Profile Photo
    Aug 15, 2009 at 8:19 AM

Great photos! Looks a lovely place to take a walk. Gillybob greetings

y_lyn

“~ Today is a sunny day :) Where to go next?”

Badges & Stats in Pulau Semakau

Have you been to Pulau Semakau?