"Home is where the heart is" Top 5 Page for this destination Gisborne by amyLbrown2002

Gisborne Travel Guide: 50 reviews and 105 photos

My Mission!

I've now decided to make it my mission to show Gisborne for what it really is here on VT! It may be falling on deaf ears, because even I know that Gizzy will never be at the top of anyone's list when they travel to New Zealand. But I really feel Gizzy gets mis-interpreted.

I was incensed recently when my boyfriends' friend's new girlfriend (who is from New Zealand) insinuated that I must be hick if I was born in Gizzy!

That simply isn't true, and Gisborne is a lovely city. These pages will prove it.

One little Gizzy Girl

Well, this is the place I call home. I was born is Gisborne (Gizzy) and lived there for 21 years (save 3 years in Palmerston North studying at University, and even then I was constantly driving back as my then boyfriend still lived here). I have so many fond memories of this town, and some of my family still live here. However, I won't ever be going back to live in Gisborne, only for holidays to see my family.

Aside from being the first city in the world to see the sun, which is one of it's main claims to fame. The other's being, it's lovely beaches, surfing and more recently, it's wine.

It is a small town, which is part of it's charm (or it's downfall, depending on your own personal outlook), but in recent years it's realyl started to pick up. The last time I was home there were so many changes, new buildings and luxury hotels and apartments being built.

It's a little out of the way when compared to other destination in NZ - it's surrounded entirely by hills, and the roads into town are all windy and steep, and can get blocked during any bad weather.

The best time of the year to visit Gisborne is of course, over the summer to take advantage of the beaches. More specifically, the New Years period is filled with so many festivals and activities, the place comes alive.

But Gisborne really does have it's own little charm. It annoys me when people put it down!

First City in the World to See the Sun

Gisborne, the first city in the world to see the sun each day, is located on the sunny East Coast of the North Island.
The Maori name for the district is Tairawhiti which means "The coast upon which the sun shines across the water". Kaiti Beach, near the city, was where the Maori immigrational waka, Horouta, landed; and is also the first European landing place in New Zealand.

Captain Cook first set foot here in 1769. European settlement was established in 1831 and the town which developed was named after Hon. William Gisborne, the Colonial Secretary, in 1870.

Prior to this the settlement was known as Turanga but confusion with Tauranga, Bay of Plenty, led to the name change. To the early Maori the Poverty Bay area was known as Turanganui-a-Kiwa, "The stopping place of Kiwa". Gisborne became a borough in 1877 and a city in 1955

• Pros:The beaches, the summer weather, and my family :-)
  • Cons:It was a little too small for my ambitions!
  • In a nutshell:A beautiful, relaxing city for lounging in the sun and for raising your kids
  • Last visit to Gisborne: Dec 2005
  • Intro Updated Aug 23, 2006

• Hermanater's Profile Photo
    May 28, 2008 at 6:58 AM

Happy Birthday....I think you are doing a great job showing Gisborne for what it really is.... Happy Travels..

• eriksson977's Profile Photo
    Dec 29, 2007 at 7:07 AM

Great Gisborne pages. Tomas Eriksson :)

• Jun 13, 2007 at 12:40 PM

Hi Amy great comments on your travel pages, i am emigrating to gizzy with my family in six weeks and your tips and info have been very helpful in uk at the moment.

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Jun 7, 2007 at 6:51 AM

great overview of your hometown!

• kayleigh06's Profile Photo
    May 26, 2007 at 4:46 AM

Kia Ora Amy! Nice tips on your hometown, never knew it was the first place to get Sun everyday. I'm intriuged, defo! Nice work!

• JessH's Profile Photo
    May 9, 2007 at 5:48 AM

Hi Amy. Even though it's small, this looks like a lovely place! Really nice tips & photos here, and that rock slide & the restaurants sound fab! Greetings from the desert :-) Jess

• Mikebond's Profile Photo
    Apr 4, 2007 at 8:28 AM

From the introduction, Gisborne seems a nice town. I'll read your tips later on.

• DreamHolidayTravels's Profile Photo
    Mar 20, 2007 at 4:32 AM

Excellent presentation, good info and wonderful photos.

• kiwi's Profile Photo
    Feb 23, 2007 at 10:36 PM

I grew up with a Gizzy family, actually from Anauru Bay. My mission now is to go visit them there. I know it's paradise on earth. Love seeing you on vt, bring that boy over here to see your roots!! ;-)

• tak_pap's Profile Photo
    Oct 2, 2006 at 6:13 AM

lovely place. so great presentation & photos

amyLbrown2002 Was Born Here!

amyLbrown2002

“Living my Dreams!”

Badges & Stats in Gisborne

Have you been to Gisborne?

Latest Activity in Gisborne