"A Pleasant Surprise" Top 5 Page for this destination Bali by amyLbrown2002

Bali Travel Guide: 124 reviews and 445 photos

It wasn't on my list

Unlike most other Kiwi/Aussies, I had never had much of a desire to go to Bali. And if I was going to go there ... I was going to wait until I had moved back to New Zealand to do it.

However, I found myself in the situation, where I was going to visit Bali for two weeks. Graham and his parents were organising a family trip away, and I was invited. And as mentioned before, I find it difficult to turn down any travel.

And I have to say that Bali really did charm me. The people are so friendly and helpful, the island so idyllic, that my two weeks there were an absolute joy!

After the Bombings ...

The terrorist bombings on Bali were a major issue. Of everyone that we spoke to, the consensu was that it has had a major impact upon the tourist industry. When we were there, the restaurants that we visited were always empty, and often we would be the only people visisting the sites.

It is such a shame, because Bali is a wonderful place, and the people so lovely.

Candi Dasa

We stayed in the Eastern part of Bali, called Candidasa, a once popular tourist resort, until the beach eroded away.

VT doesn't have a Candi Dasa page - so all my tips will just go into the general Bali page.

Sights I recommend (I won't add as a tip as it's all been said before ...)

Goa Lawah, or the "Bat Cave"

• Pros:Brilliant weather, absolutely lovely people
  • Cons:So many temples! Gets a bit too much!
  • Last visit to Bali: Nov 2006
  • Intro Updated Jan 5, 2007

• eriksson977's Profile Photo
    Feb 16, 2008 at 10:36 AM

Great page with great tips. Tomas Eriksson :)

• Chellenz's Profile Photo
    Apr 7, 2007 at 2:16 AM

Hi amy, we are going to east of bali for a week in july. wondering how much you driver was was a day. is that his email at the bottom?

amyLbrown2002