"Kongsberg, silver mines and ski jumpers." Top 5 Page for this destination Kongsberg by Terje1966
Kongsberg Travel Guide: 65 reviews and 131 photos
As far back as in 1624 there was found silver in the hils around Kongsberg.
That was why the Danish King Chr4 decided to build the city that today is inhabited by about 25000 persons.At that time Kongsberg was one of the biggest and most important cities in Norway. Today you can visit the mine by a toy train that takes you on a guided trip several kilometers into the mountain or you can go to Norsk Bergverksmuseum in the centre of Kongsberg right beside the Royal Norwegian mint.
(Bergverksmuseum is Mining museum)
The large hill on top of the mines(Gruveåsen and Knutefjellet) is also a wonderful hiking area with a lot of old footpaths around the remindings of the mines.
In wintertime this area contains good posibillities for both nordic and alpine skiing. Kongsberg ski center is only 5 min drive from the citycenter. They have a lot of different slopes and good opurtunities for both skiing and snowboarding with a large halfpipe and bigjumps.
Kongsberg is divided into 2 separate parts by the river Numedalslågen.
The eastern side is called Nymoen and the western side is called Vestsiden
and not gamle(old)Kongsberg as some newcomers in town may try to tell you.
We have 5 bridges connecting the 2 parts of town. The 2 major bridges are Nybrua and Myntbrua. Nybrua means "The new bridge"but it is not the newest bridge and it has large coin replicas on both sides. The other one that is called Myntbrua(meaning Coinbridge) is the newest of them(but has no coins). A lot of people make mistakes when they are talking about this.
The major business in Kongsberg both in and after the mining period was Kongsberg Våpenfabrikk (arms factory). Today this old giant factory is split up into several smaller units and Kongsberg has become one of Norways biggest high tech centers with companies like FMC Subsea, Kongsberg Maritime, Volvo Aero Norway, Kongsberg Defense and Aerospace, Kongsberg Automotive and Dresser Rand.
Kongsberg is also famous for beeing the hometovn of Birger Ruud. He was one of the Ruud brothers that were among worlds best ski jumpers back in the thirties.
They invented the style called the "Kongsberg bend"
Kongsberg is perfect for winter activities. This picture is taken at Knutefjellet towards the Jonsknuten mountain(902m).
- Pros:Beautiful city,not to big,totally safe.
- In a nutshell:Kongsberg from silver mines to oil drilling technology.
30th of june 2012 we got this new statue in our main park Magadinparken. The sculptures name is "ut av berget" which can... more travel advice
At Labro you can visit the Labromuseums. This is a part of Lågdalsmuseet that you can find about 6km south of Kongsberg.... more travel advice
- See All Christians kjeller small concerts
- See All New mall by the railway station
- See All The newest Hotel
- Skrim and Raje mountain area
Terje1966's Related Pages
Kongsberg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Kongsberg, silver mines and ski jumpers."
- "Mr. Harket Home Town-"Train of thoughts""
- "Kongsberg-"King's Mountain""
- "BBBBRRRRRRR !!!!!!!!!"
- "Mining Under the King's Mountain"
- "My cabin at Blefjell"
- "Konsberg Town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kongsberg
- Hotels in Kongsberg
- Transportation in Kongsberg
- Nightlife in Kongsberg
- Restaurants in Kongsberg
- Shopping in Kongsberg
- Warnings and Dangers in Kongsberg
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kongsberg
- 42 Reviews
- 78 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Kongsberg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kongsberg
- Posted in Travel Oslo Region Forum "Re: Travel from Oslo to Karlstad"
- Wrote a Review New sculpture in Magasinparken in Kongsberg Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "New sculpture in Magasinparken"
- Commented on one of Azhut's Kongsberg travel pages
- updated a Kongsberg Travel Page "Kongsberg, silver mines and ski jumpers."
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kongsberg Intro, 42 reviews, 78 photos
- Strömstad Intro, 7 reviews, 31 photos
- Vestfossen Intro, 4 reviews, 20 photos
- Fiskum Intro, 3 reviews, 17 photos
- Alanya Intro, 5 reviews, 14 photos
- Eidsfoss Intro, 5 reviews, 11 photos
- Kiev Intro, 5 reviews, 10 photos
- Jakarta Intro, 6 reviews, 6 photos
- Nore Intro, 3 reviews, 7 photos
- Medellín Intro, 1 review, 8 photos