"Hirtshals" Top 5 Page for this destination Hirtshals by Terje1966

Hirtshals Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 36 photos

Nice little fishing willage

Coming from the central part of southeastern Norway I grew up with "Danskebåten"the ferry to Denmark. It was and still is popular for roundtrips with partying and shopping. Denmark have always been more liberal when it comes to alcohol and tobacco and the prices have always been much lower than in Norway. Meat is also a popular thing to shop in Denmark for Norwegians.
When I was young the most popular route was from Larvik to Fredrikshavn and I remember that I was a bit disappointed when I heard that Colorlines route from Larvik were changed from Fredrikshavn to Hirtshals. I had been on the dock in Hirtshals a couple of times and had not seen anything but factory buildings.(In fact all the way down to Aalborg were a complete wasteland)
But my impression was about to change. This easter me and my family had some extra hours to spend before the ferry was to depart for Larvik. When we started to look around we actually found a small and lovely fishing willage close to the rough ocean. Its not big but big enough for some shopping and some eating. Just to the south of town you can also see a beautiful large lighthouse. Behind the lighthouse there is a large holliday center for families called Fyrklit and close to the docks you can visit a large aquarium containing fish from the north sea.

Todays ferries from Jutland to Norway an Sweden

Today Hirtshals has ferry connections to Larvik (Superspeed 2 Color line). Kristiansand (Superspeed 1 Color line) Kristiansand (Fjordline) Stavanger and Bergen(Fjordline).
Fredrikshavn has a Stena Line boat to Oslo and to Gøteborg as well as a route to the Swedish city of Varberg a little to the south of Gøteborg.
Somewhere at the picture you can see the ferry to Kristiansand.

• Pros:Fast ferry routes to Norway 3hrs45min to Larvik.
  • Cons:Norwegian shoppers all over town.
  • Last visit to Hirtshals: Apr 2010
  • Intro Updated Sep 13, 2010

Terje1966 Visits Here Frequently!

Terje1966

“It`s on the map.Let`s go!”

Badges & Stats in Hirtshals

Have you been to Hirtshals?

Latest Activity in Hirtshals