"Centre of the world" Delphi by TheView

Delphi Travel Guide: 277 reviews and 954 photos

A very special letter in greek

Telling the story of Zeus dispatching his two eagles to find the navel of the world they meet at a wonderful sigth in the mountains.

Zeus then threw a sacred stone marking the navel of the world. At the socket of the Treasury of the Athenians you can find this special letter like a, O omicron with a extra spot in the middle as a belly button or navel. As telling the whole story in this simple but still powerfull symbol.

I like to suggest if you have the opportunity go to Greece in the springtime befor its getting to hot. Its just so beautiful and green. And enjoy the wonders of the Ancient world. The old Greeks really knew where to built their temples.

• Last visit to Delphi: Apr 2006
  • Intro Updated May 4, 2006

• Durfun's Profile Photo
    Dec 11, 2009 at 9:43 AM

Hey Allan, Didn't realise you've been here! Do you ski? There's a place nearby...

• Zvrlj's Profile Photo
    Jun 28, 2009 at 10:39 AM

Thanks for the nice photos and tips of that enchanting place. Greetings from Serbia, I&V

• jo104's Profile Photo
    Apr 4, 2008 at 12:57 AM

I hadn't heard of this place in Greece, thanks for all your info on Greek mythology to run from those starting blocks must feel like you have the greek gods looking down on you.

• alucas's Profile Photo
    Sep 3, 2007 at 12:42 PM

Another place in Greece that I haven't seen - must make the effort one day !

• la_beba's Profile Photo
    Sep 1, 2007 at 3:03 PM

How am I doing? I believe I am a bit down today... remembering exactly a week ago we were out with the gang Friday night, and I wish I could be back there today! :o( snif snif! I can't wait to see you all again!

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Apr 15, 2007 at 5:06 AM

Delphi was magic in late autumn when we were there - no crowds and warm sunshine on the ruins. Must get back there - one fine day. leyle

• keeweechic's Profile Photo
    Feb 19, 2007 at 5:08 AM

Great background and history.. wonderful how music had such great importance. Greece is on my to do list.. I must get there and drink.. so that I may return...

• Acirfa's Profile Photo
    Feb 13, 2007 at 12:43 AM

Thank you I will check it out.

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Dec 6, 2006 at 12:55 PM

Nice details in your tips = a cool drink for your return to Greece!

• DAO's Profile Photo
    Oct 5, 2006 at 11:03 AM

I liked Delphi, cool place. Belarus is an experience rather than an adventure. And the visa costs a lot! All the best.

TheView

“"On spaceship Earth there are no passengers only crew"”

Badges & Stats in Delphi