Greenland Transportation Tips by TheView Top 5 Page for this destination
Greenland Transportation: 23 reviews and 27 photos
Poplic transport is very limited in Greenland (There is really only the busses in Nuuk) so if you need transport you need a pickup or a cab. They all run on meters like in Denmark but all do not take credit cards so it is good to have some cash at hand, that is Danish kroner. As English is not a generally spoken language among cabdrivers it is a good idea to have the address you like to goto written down.
Aske for the local number in the airport or harbor. Here is some I use from time to time.
area code for Greenland is 00299
Ilulissat number 944944
Type: Car/Motor Home
A transport form that is an adventure on its own is the boat trips you can make around the coastline in western Greenland. And do take the slow boat if you have time it is cheeper and you get more time to enjoy the splendid nature.
It is a good idea to book your tour some time in advance as it can be full on some dates.
Notice if you are planing a trip that there is a long winter hold for the ships do to the ice …even if the climate change have made an impact.
Two airlines are operating on Greenland the stat airline Air Greenland and the Icelandic airline Air Iceland. Air Greenland is internationally connected to Copenhagen via Kangerslussuaq airport that is a transit for all the smaller airfields dispersed around the coastline of Greenland. Air Iceland offers a connection between Iceland and Ilulissat.
It may look a bit counter intuitive that you have to fly to Greenland all the way from Denmark and there isn’t a north American connection but it has its historic reasons as Greenland had and still have strong ties with Denmark and Iceland was also a part of Denmark until the second world war.
This summer air Greenland will try to run an air route between Iqaluit, Canada and Nuuk Greenland but I did try to look at the prices and they a stupendously high so if they are trying to see if there is an interest in flying between Greenland and Canada and there is they are just not understanding it is less expensive to fly over Copenhagen if you are not living in the Greenlandic capital Nuuk.
During the long winters in Greenland the transport routes change drastically due to the roads made by the snow scooters compression of the otherwise loos powder snow that comes from the very low temperatures Greenland is accustomed to.
This enables you to take longer hikes around the landscape without skis or snowshoes.
More Reviews (36)
- See All Alcohol
- See All Cold weather and windchill factor
- See All Arctic Station -Research in the north.
- The illusionary ….beast
- See All Drum dances
TheView's Related Pages
Greenland Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ayornamut - Saagar's Greenland pages"
- "Welcome to the high north"
- "Greenland from the air"
- "Gateway to Greenland via Kangerlussuaq"
- "Greenland seen from the air"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Greenland
- Hotels in Greenland
- Transportation in Greenland
- Nightlife in Greenland
- Restaurants in Greenland
- Shopping in Greenland
- Warnings and Dangers in Greenland
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Greenland
- 58 Reviews
- 143 Photos
- 22 Forum posts
- 7 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (24)
Have you been to Greenland?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Greenland
Top 10 Pages
- Copenhagen Intro, 57 reviews, 191 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Greenland Intro, 40 reviews, 95 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Denmark Intro, 27 reviews, 92 photos, 3 travelogues
- Japan Intro, 30 reviews, 80 photos
- Santorini Island Intro, 42 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sankt Anton am Arlberg Intro, 10 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- India Intro, 8 reviews, 29 photos
- Prefecture of the Cyclades Intro, 27 photos, 3 travelogues
- Delphi Intro, 6 reviews, 18 photos
- Berlin Intro, 4 reviews, 18 photos