"A view at the world" TheView's Profile
I am currently living in Greenland north of the polar circle, where I am teaching sports/philosophy at the local gymnasium in Aasiaat, with students from all of northwest Greenland, what surely must be the largest recurring area in the world for a gymnasium. I will be back with some tips on Greenland as I get some more time to do so. Now also kayak instruktor ...educatede in the motherland of the kayak!
The nick TheView comes from a reflection on a very fine book about objectivity; The view from nowhere, By Thomas Nagel. As this web page I have, only can be from my own perspective and if at anytime it should transcend to somekind of objectivity it will only be accidental or by mere chance. I limit myself to the simple; TheView.
Let no one delay the study of philosophy while young nor weary of it when old. For no one is either too young or too old for the health of the soul. He who says either that the time for philosophy has not yet come or that it has passed is like someone who says that the time for happiness has not yet come or that it has passed. Therefore, both young and old must philosophize, the latter so that although old he may stay young in good things owing to gratitude for what has occurred, the former so that althougt young he too may be like an old man owing to his lack of fear of what is to come. Therefore, one must practise the things which produce happiness, since if that is present we have everything and if it is absent we do everything in order to have it.
Epicurus (341-270 BC). Letter to Menoeceus.
Accustom yourself to believing that death is nothing to us, for good and evil imply the capacity for sensation, and death is the privation of all sentience; therefore a correct understanding that death is nothing to us makes the mortality of life enjoyable, not by adding to life a limitless time, but by taking away the yearning after immortality. For life has no terrors for him who has thoroughly understood that there are no terrors for him in ceasing to live. Foolish, therefore, is the man who says that he fears death, not because it will pain when it comes, but because it pains in the prospect. Whatever causes no annoyance when it is present, causes only a groundless pain in the expectation. Death, therefore, the most awful of evils, is nothing to us, seeing that, when we are, death is not come, and, when death is come, we are not. It is nothing, then, either to the living or to the dead, for with the living it is not and the dead exist no longer.
Epicurus ones more ;-)
This summer I will have a long vacation that I plan to use for a "round the world tip" the aim will not be to get around the world but to travel and relax and visit places that I like to see that are further away in traveling time from my home.
Lots of places on my list ..Japan, Bhutan, Madagascar, Argentina, Burma and many more ....
Worldtour is ready to start, of to Madrid on monday 10th of june and then Buenos aries tursday and ???
Moving through archways of life
Like the battered armies of history
With vulnerable body’s
Encountering arrows unshielded
Unprepared for massacre we move
Carcasses to Cupids slaughter
Top Travel Pages
Explore the World
- Las Vegas Hotels
- Key West Hotels
- Bacolod City Hotels
- Niagara Falls Hotels
- Washington D.C. Hotels
- Boracay Island Hotels
- Davao Hotels
- Baclaran Hotels
- Karachi Hotels
- Paris Hotels
- Sheepshead Bay Hotels
- Pengkalan Balak Hotels
- Southern Province Hotels
- Goose Rocks Beach Hotels
- State of Jammu and Kashmir Hotels
- Pulau Mamutik Hotels
- Atlantic City Hotels
- St. John's Hotels
- Winnipeg Hotels
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 169 Reviews
- 699 Photos
- 10 Countries
- 22 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: When You've Gotta Go,You've..."
- Commented on Carmela71's profile page
- TheView and MohammadJavad are now friends.
- Uploaded a Photo to "The ice fjord in Ilulissat"
updated their Profile Page "A view at the world"
- Wrote a Review The famous son of Ilulissat in Ilulissat Things to Do
- updated a Ilulissat Travel Page "UNESCO world heritage site in Greenland"
- Uploaded a Video to Greenland
VideosSee All Videos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Copenhagen Intro, 51 reviews, 184 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Denmark Intro, 27 reviews, 92 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Greenland Intro, 19 reviews, 51 photos
- Santorini Island Intro, 42 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sankt Anton am Arlberg Intro, 10 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- India Intro, 8 reviews, 29 photos
- Prefecture of the Cyclades Intro, 27 photos, 3 travelogues
- Delphi Intro, 6 reviews, 18 photos
- Athens Intro, 7 reviews, 14 photos
- Valencia Intro, 4 reviews, 16 photos
Travel InterestsSee All Travel Interests (5)
- Paris Hotels
- 22459 Reviews - 54962 Photos
- Dubai Hotels
- 2701 Reviews - 7925 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23315 Reviews - 48908 Photos
- Philadelphia Hotels
- 2093 Reviews - 4054 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15643 Reviews - 31276 Photos
- Manila Hotels
- 2025 Reviews - 4971 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3092 Reviews - 5855 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1933 Reviews - 3724 Photos
- Punta Cana Hotels
- 422 Reviews - 1020 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 328 Reviews - 894 Photos
- Playa del Carmen Hotels
- 780 Reviews - 1749 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 12023 Reviews - 26760 Photos
- Goa Hotels
- 2058 Reviews - 3874 Photos
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7828 Reviews - 20233 Photos
- Bangkok Hotels
- 10315 Reviews - 22905 Photos