"Our Trip to Bangkok" Bangkok by Suzze

Bangkok Travel Guide: 10,482 reviews and 23,335 photos

Lot's of great memories and photo's!

Where do I start on my thoughts of Bangkok? I for one was a bit afraid of it I think, reading all the mostly negatives and the positives on this city on VT I was thinking what have I done booking to see this place! My mind does do alot of overtime and I was thinking I was coming into a load of sleaze, sex, thieves and the locals ripping you off every minute of the day………………….not so.
Yes, I suppose it could be all of those things, given in any city really. I was pleasantly surprised on my arrival and could not wait to take in the rest of my time here in Thailand.

We were warned about the pollution too and yes, the traffic was heaving all the time, and only once did it bother me. We were walking down a side street after coming out of the Bayoki Hotel, and we could not believe our eyes! The traffic did not know where to go! I could not breathe!! I had to go into a store to get some air! This was all part of the experience though and we laughed about it after!

We stayed in the Landmark hotel which was a great choice I have to say. It was a great place to stay and eat, and was central to everything, and right by the Sky Train.

I was warned by so my VT members that I must not take any notice of taxi drivers telling you that places were closed and to make sure that they had their meters on. Our hotel porter whistled in a taxi on our first morning, and told him where we wanted to go. I thought this would all be ok as it has come into the hotel, and as soon as the driver pulled away from the building he turned his meter off and told us the Grand Palace was closed. We told him no it isn’t and to turn the meter back on, he refused, so my husband told him to pull over and we got out.
We both said unbelievable on our first venture out! We walked back to our hotel and they ordered another taxi and off we went without a hitch. That was the only trouble we had in Bangkok so we did good.

There was one thing that I found a bit hard to take in one night walking back late at night from dinner. We passed some mothers begging with their young children alseep on their laps, I did not like to see this especialy as it was just down the road from our hotel. It was quite heart breaking.

I did feel safe in this city and thought the Thai’s were wonderful people.
I was especialy taken with the food traders on the streets, they would just walk along with their goods, wok and stove until they found their spot, and then cook you a fantastic meal. I loved to watch all of this it was one of the things I loved about this place, the culture of it all and the day to day life of these people.
I especialy loved the food in Thailand, I have to say I've never eaten and drunk so healthy on a holiday before I don't think! I loved the curries and the thai salads, and everything was always so fresh and loved the fruit shakes too!

We had a wonderful few days in Bangkok before we flew onto Koh Samui.

Cont on my Bangkok travelougues.........

• Pros:Wonderful food and people!
  • Cons:The heavy traffic and the begging mothers
  • In a nutshell:I felt so wrapped in this wonderful city
  • Last visit to Bangkok: Mar 2008
  • Intro Updated Mar 26, 2008

• pattypoo's Profile Photo
    Aug 9, 2008 at 9:30 AM

had to come back and read this page again. I would love to spend time in Bangkok, I only got to the airport enroute to Australia. Hope your well Sue xx

• Acirfa's Profile Photo
    Mar 25, 2008 at 12:40 AM

Enjoyed reading about your experiences in Thailand Sue, great photo's, brought back some memories I had forgotten about xx

Suzze

“Today is the first day of the rest of your life, so go and see the world!”

Badges & Stats in Bangkok

Have you been to Bangkok?