"My Trip to Nuevo Laredo, Mexico" Top 5 Page for this destination Nuevo Laredo by kaluvzmc
Nuevo Laredo Travel Guide: 24 reviews and 45 photos
We left Odem, TX early in the morning so that we could arrive in Nuevo Laredo by mid afternoon. It was a long ride there. We finally reached the Nuevo Laredo, Mexico/Laredo, Texas International bridge and we drove up to the Toll office and we paid our $6.00 fee. (I think it was $6.00) I do not recommend driving across the border. Definately try to park your car in Laredo, TX and walk across the bridge if at all possible because the people on the bridge will walk right infront of your car and start cleaning it for money and it's hard to trust people with your cars on the Mexican border, plus the traffic lights are hard to figure out. So we drove down Guerrero St. (the main street in the border town) looking for a place to park. After being honked at about 1,000 times for stopping at green lights because of the stop signs at each light, we finally found a nice man offering to let us park in his lot for a small fee, but he said we must be back by 8:00 pm or else we will not be able to get our car.
We shopped all over the city. We walked up and down all the side streets, went through the park (watched some guy get tackled down by the police), went to the shopping plaza (Plaza De Laredo), we even paid 2 men to sing to me, it was a lot of fun. I do have some warnings though. Most stores are not air-conditioned and it does get pretty hot in there, don't ever go off somewhere by yourself because it's not a very safe place, there are A LOT of beggers asking for money, a lot of them will try to scam you, and there are a lot of cockroaches through out the city and stores. Most of the residents speak some English and it's not hard to communicate with them if you don't speak Spanish. As I was shopping, I did see some pretty gruesome sites. This is a poor town. I seen a man sitting on the side of the road, I think he was dying and I think that a teenage boy was stalking me for a while to. Don't ride the buses, you may never come back home and a lot of the windows are broken and it's actually kind of scary. I wouldn't eat the food or drink anything from their either. If you like Mexican food then you're pretty safe, but I seen a full-sized goat hanging in the window being cooked and it grossed me out pretty bad. One good thing was that there is absolutely no need for currency exchange because every place that you go to either accepts American money or they accept all major credit cards. Over all, the shopping experience was interesting and it was a lot of fun, despite everything that happened.
After a day full of shopping and many interesting surprises, we were ready to go home. We got to our car fine and we got to the bridge okay. Only about 10% of the people leaving the Mexican border will have their car randomly searched each day. We were one of the 10%. They had us open the trunk, they found nothing, they had us open the glove department and found nothing, they asked to see all of our bags and found nothing illegal and that was about the whole search. They were actually quite rude to us, but still, they let us go through the border. By the time we were going down the highway it was getting pretty dark. I believe that there was 2 border patrol stations on our trip from Odem, TX to Nuevo Laredo, Mexico and on our way there we didn't get stopped at either, but on our way home we got stopped at only the first one. I think that because it was dark out, they wanted to check us. So we were stopped at the border patrol station and they did pretty much the same thing as the Mexican border patrol did. I asked them if I could take a picture and they said no with a big explanation about how they could get in a lot of trouble, but really it wasn't that big of a deal. Then we were on our way. That's the end of my trip to Mexico.
- Pros:Cheap shopping, easy communication, easy currency exchange
- Cons:Beggers, people trying to rip you off, not very safe
- In a nutshell:The place for shopping is here!
If you are a tourist in Nuevo Laredo, watch out for these 3 things. There are a lot of people who sell stuff and will... more travel advice
kaluvzmc's Related Pages
Nuevo Laredo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Nuevo Laredo"
- "Exciting Nightlife and fun shopping"
- "My Trip to Nuevo Laredo, Mexico"
- "Intro Under Construction"
- "If you're bored and up for a road trip."
- "Not bad, for a border town"
- "Nuevo Laredo"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Nuevo Laredo
- Hotels in Nuevo Laredo
- Transportation in Nuevo Laredo
- Nightlife in Nuevo Laredo
- Restaurants in Nuevo Laredo
- Shopping in Nuevo Laredo
- Warnings and Dangers in Nuevo Laredo
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Nuevo Laredo
- 3 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Nuevo Laredo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Nuevo Laredo
- Posted in Travel Czech Republic Forum "RE: RE: Czech Words"
- Wrote a Review When shopping, remember this... in Nuevo Laredo Favorites
- Commented on one of RileyPowell's Nuevo Laredo travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Nuevo Laredo. Scammers! Stalkers!"
- updated a Nuevo Laredo Travel Page "My Trip to Nuevo Laredo, Mexico"
Photos in Nuevo LaredoSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- South Padre Island Intro, 2 reviews, 12 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nuevo Laredo Intro, 3 reviews, 8 photos
- Jamesport Intro, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Anoka Intro, 2 reviews, 8 photos, 1 travelogue
- Odem Intro, 1 review, 7 photos
- Saint Paul 1 review, 5 photos
- Krakow Intro, 3 photos
- Corpus Christi Intro, 3 photos
- North Branch Intro, 3 photos
- Donovaly Intro, 1 photo