"My Trip to Nuevo Laredo, Mexico" Top 5 Page for this destination Nuevo Laredo by kaluvzmc

Nuevo Laredo Travel Guide: 24 reviews and 45 photos

Arriving in Mexico

We left Odem, TX early in the morning so that we could arrive in Nuevo Laredo by mid afternoon. It was a long ride there. We finally reached the Nuevo Laredo, Mexico/Laredo, Texas International bridge and we drove up to the Toll office and we paid our $6.00 fee. (I think it was $6.00) I do not recommend driving across the border. Definately try to park your car in Laredo, TX and walk across the bridge if at all possible because the people on the bridge will walk right infront of your car and start cleaning it for money and it's hard to trust people with your cars on the Mexican border, plus the traffic lights are hard to figure out. So we drove down Guerrero St. (the main street in the border town) looking for a place to park. After being honked at about 1,000 times for stopping at green lights because of the stop signs at each light, we finally found a nice man offering to let us park in his lot for a small fee, but he said we must be back by 8:00 pm or else we will not be able to get our car.

A Shopping Experience

We shopped all over the city. We walked up and down all the side streets, went through the park (watched some guy get tackled down by the police), went to the shopping plaza (Plaza De Laredo), we even paid 2 men to sing to me, it was a lot of fun. I do have some warnings though. Most stores are not air-conditioned and it does get pretty hot in there, don't ever go off somewhere by yourself because it's not a very safe place, there are A LOT of beggers asking for money, a lot of them will try to scam you, and there are a lot of cockroaches through out the city and stores. Most of the residents speak some English and it's not hard to communicate with them if you don't speak Spanish. As I was shopping, I did see some pretty gruesome sites. This is a poor town. I seen a man sitting on the side of the road, I think he was dying and I think that a teenage boy was stalking me for a while to. Don't ride the buses, you may never come back home and a lot of the windows are broken and it's actually kind of scary. I wouldn't eat the food or drink anything from their either. If you like Mexican food then you're pretty safe, but I seen a full-sized goat hanging in the window being cooked and it grossed me out pretty bad. One good thing was that there is absolutely no need for currency exchange because every place that you go to either accepts American money or they accept all major credit cards. Over all, the shopping experience was interesting and it was a lot of fun, despite everything that happened.

On the way out and home.

After a day full of shopping and many interesting surprises, we were ready to go home. We got to our car fine and we got to the bridge okay. Only about 10% of the people leaving the Mexican border will have their car randomly searched each day. We were one of the 10%. They had us open the trunk, they found nothing, they had us open the glove department and found nothing, they asked to see all of our bags and found nothing illegal and that was about the whole search. They were actually quite rude to us, but still, they let us go through the border. By the time we were going down the highway it was getting pretty dark. I believe that there was 2 border patrol stations on our trip from Odem, TX to Nuevo Laredo, Mexico and on our way there we didn't get stopped at either, but on our way home we got stopped at only the first one. I think that because it was dark out, they wanted to check us. So we were stopped at the border patrol station and they did pretty much the same thing as the Mexican border patrol did. I asked them if I could take a picture and they said no with a big explanation about how they could get in a lot of trouble, but really it wasn't that big of a deal. Then we were on our way. That's the end of my trip to Mexico.

• Pros:Cheap shopping, easy communication, easy currency exchange
  • Cons:Beggers, people trying to rip you off, not very safe
  • In a nutshell:The place for shopping is here!
  • Last visit to Nuevo Laredo: Jun 2004
  • Intro Updated Feb 9, 2006

• May 17, 2013 at 5:57 AM

i am an american citizen and i think it is a shame ...that a person who only been there one time say all these things...first of all ... if u don't know how a drive...then don't do it it isn't hard to tell about the traffic signs they are all the same in every country ...and the people who wanna clean you're windshield ... that's what they do for living most off them have family's ..same as you.... if u don't want that then u only have to make them a no sign ... you're not obligated to give them money ...only good heart people know what to do in these cases of someone begging for money or doing a little work as cleaning for a couple of cents...and now u didn't visit.. plazita a la mujer... parque viveros.. paseo reforma.. the security has changed so much ... there are now on the streets Mexican military support in order to make life safer ...but anyway there's a lot of ignorance in you're comments think before you write all of these in case you think to visit another Mexican city and scary the ones who really wanna know new places like nuevo laredo, mexico ...

• damaris05's Profile Photo
    Mar 21, 2006 at 8:14 PM

hey thats so cool! sounds like you liked nuevo laredo! i was there just last week. laredo has changed alot in the last 2 years. the crime, violence, and danger has increased oh so much! but i still love it! keep in touch!

kaluvzmc

“There are only two emotions in a plane: boredom and terror.”

Ranked Member

Badges & Stats in Nuevo Laredo

Have you been to Nuevo Laredo?

Friends