"Small Towns" Pikeville by SullyBiz
Pikeville Travel Guide: 1 reviews and 2 photos
I have taken so many trips there would be too much to tell and it might not be that interesting anyway (I once drove to New Jersey just to get coffee). But one of the small ones I can recommend is to a very small town.
One night in college a couple of friends and I decided to jump in the car and drive to Pikeville, Kentucky. This was a friend's hometown and it just so happened there was an event going on.....HillBilly Days. Yes this is a real thing. BBQ, big white bellies, beat up trucks, mechanical bulls, and mullets. In just three days nearly 100,000 people make a visit to the 6,500 member town to live it up.
During the day everyone goes down to the parade and watches as ridiculously dressed people ride on beat up trucks and wave big underwear around. I mostly just watched the crowd. Never a dull moment.
And I've never eaten so much food in my life. We had hotdogs, burgers, chicken, ribs, corn on the cob, chili, chips, dips, and much more. All of this you can buy from one of the many bbq setups all over the place. But if you can try a pulled pork sandwich down there. Too good.
At night our partying got even crazier as I was lucky enough to have a friend who was a local. Everyone drives SUVs or trucks down there and for good reason...it's the only way to get to the keg parties at the houses in the hills. I remember Jack Daniels and breakfast at the Huddle House and then I woke up.
This may be more of a stopping point than a destination but it's a really good time. Check it out at www.hillbillydays.com and look up Pikeville while you're at it, it's a comfy little town.
- Pros:BBQ, entertainment, and friendly open people
- Cons:Not a lot of space during this event
- In a nutshell:This really isn't the big city.
SullyBiz's Related Pages
Pikeville Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Pikeville
- 0 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Pikeville?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pikeville
Photos in PikevilleSee All Photos (1)
Top 10 Pages
- Los Angeles Intro, 34 photos, 5 travelogues
- Sandwich Intro, 7 reviews, 22 photos, 2 travelogues
- Baltimore Intro, 24 photos, 3 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 6 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue
- Florence Intro, 7 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- Pisa Intro, 3 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cambridge Intro, 10 reviews, 7 photos
- Cleveland Intro, 12 photos, 2 travelogues
- Washington D.C. Intro, 9 photos, 1 travelogue
- Moscow Intro, 9 photos, 1 travelogue