"Mindo" Top 5 Page for this destination Mindo by SullyBiz
Mindo Travel Guide: 47 reviews and 295 photos
Mindo is a small village north of Quito set amidst the Cloud Forest (about 2 hours drive I think). Because of Ecotourism it has been receiving more and more visitors each year who come for nature and adventure. It is probably best known for bird watching (there are hundreds of species here) but you can also find gardens, hiking, river rafting, and more.
My friends and I had the good fortune of spending a very full (and chilly) day here. We rafted down the river, walked the gardens, and toured the butterfly farm. Rafting isn’t white water rafting, it’s tubing. A number of tubes are lashed together and for $5 you can strap on a helmet and be guided down the river. It is incredibly fun but mind the bugs when you are standing on the bank. Those little #@!%$*& really bite. The butterfly gardens were great if you aren’t afraid of bugs. There are thousands inside. Our guide was wonderful and gave us the tour in both Spanish and English. I held a caterpillar that was bigger than my hand and stuck it in everyone’s faces. They were not pleased. Inside you can actually get the butterflies to land on you. The trick? Mushy rotten banana.
- Pros:A variety of activities both relaxing and adventure-filled
- Cons:Hopefully won't become overdeveloped due to tourism
- In a nutshell:A low-key place where you can enjoy nature.
The butterfly garden was very very quiet and we were the only ones present in what was essentially a giant butterfly... more travel advice
SullyBiz's Related Pages
Mindo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Mindo - Paradise on earth"
- "Beautiful Mindo"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mindo
- Hotels in Mindo
- Transportation in Mindo
- Restaurants in Mindo
- Warnings and Dangers in Mindo
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mindo
- 3 Reviews
- 0 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Mindo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mindo
Top 10 Pages
- Los Angeles Intro, 34 photos, 5 travelogues
- Sandwich Intro, 7 reviews, 22 photos, 2 travelogues
- Baltimore Intro, 24 photos, 3 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 6 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue
- Florence Intro, 7 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- Pisa Intro, 3 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cambridge Intro, 10 reviews, 7 photos
- Cleveland Intro, 12 photos, 2 travelogues
- Washington D.C. Intro, 9 photos, 1 travelogue
- Moscow Intro, 9 photos, 1 travelogue