"Mindo" Top 5 Page for this destination Mindo by SullyBiz

Mindo Travel Guide: 47 reviews and 295 photos

Flora, Fauna, Birds and Butterflies

Mindo is a small village north of Quito set amidst the Cloud Forest (about 2 hours drive I think). Because of Ecotourism it has been receiving more and more visitors each year who come for nature and adventure. It is probably best known for bird watching (there are hundreds of species here) but you can also find gardens, hiking, river rafting, and more.

My friends and I had the good fortune of spending a very full (and chilly) day here. We rafted down the river, walked the gardens, and toured the butterfly farm. Rafting isn’t white water rafting, it’s tubing. A number of tubes are lashed together and for $5 you can strap on a helmet and be guided down the river. It is incredibly fun but mind the bugs when you are standing on the bank. Those little #@!%$*& really bite. The butterfly gardens were great if you aren’t afraid of bugs. There are thousands inside. Our guide was wonderful and gave us the tour in both Spanish and English. I held a caterpillar that was bigger than my hand and stuck it in everyone’s faces. They were not pleased. Inside you can actually get the butterflies to land on you. The trick? Mushy rotten banana.

• Pros:A variety of activities both relaxing and adventure-filled
  • Cons:Hopefully won't become overdeveloped due to tourism
  • In a nutshell:A low-key place where you can enjoy nature.
  • Intro Updated Oct 17, 2006

SullyBiz

“I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.”

Badges & Stats in Mindo