"In The Land of the Eagles" Top 5 Page for this destination Albania by illumina
Albania Travel Guide: 2,167 reviews and 5,877 photos
One of the smallest countries in Europe, Albania is also very mountainous and little known to outsiders. Albania is known as Eagle's Country, Shqipëri in Albanian.
I went to Albania in September and October 2002, as a volunteer archaeologist. We were digging at the World Heritage site of Butrint, just south of Sarande.
The steps that can be seen in this postcard actually run down to the shore from the hotel I was staying in, the Sea Eagle in Ksamili.
This is a view out over Lake Butrint from the peninsula, looking towards Diaporit and the Greek border at the top of Mt. Mile.
Diaporit was the area I was working in, excavating a late Roman villa and bathhouse, and the overlying 7th century church.
As well as Sarande, Ksamili and Butrint, I also visited Gjirokastra and the Blue Eye while I was there (see below).
As of 2012 Albania has 2 UNESCO World Heritage Sites, and I'm lucky enough to have seen them both (well one and a half!).
Historic Centres of Berat and Gjirokastra
One of these days I'll get to go back and visit Berat too.
- Pros:Beautiful scenery, friendly people.
- Cons:Ugly concrete buildings springing up in hope of tourism; no rubbish collection (so ends up being dumped on the beaches)
- In a nutshell:A beautiful, mysterious land
The guidebooks which I took with me were the Blue Guide to Albania and Kosovo, a very informative book with plenty of... more travel advice
On one of the bumpy landrover journeys back from site, driving between the villages of Xarra and Vrina, we saw an old... more travel advice
- See All Amusing language tip!
- See All Children
- See All Roads
- The Sea Eagle
illumina's Related Pages
Albania Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The sleeping beauty is awake & has 7 leagues boots"
- "Bukur Albania!"
- "In The Land of the Eagles"
- "The most adventuros destination in Europe."
- "The lost country"
- "Europe's Last 'White Spot'"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Albania
- Hotels in Albania
- Transportation in Albania
- Nightlife in Albania
- Restaurants in Albania
- Shopping in Albania
- Warnings and Dangers in Albania
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Albania
- 113 Reviews
- 109 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 3 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (41)
Have you been to Albania?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Albania
Top 10 Pages
- Copenhagen Intro, 76 reviews, 133 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rome Intro, 53 reviews, 84 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hampi Intro, 49 reviews, 85 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Khajuraho Intro, 47 reviews, 85 photos
- Varanasi Intro, 44 reviews, 77 photos
- Paris Intro, 46 reviews, 61 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Delhi Intro, 38 reviews, 61 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Butrint Intro, 40 reviews, 50 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Agra Intro, 32 reviews, 52 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albania Intro, 49 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue