"Winchcombe, my ancestral home!" Winchcombe by illumina

Winchcombe Travel Guide: 26 reviews and 67 photos

Family History

Even though it's not too far from where I grew up, and only just up the road from where I live now, I only discovered Winchcombe through tracing my family history. I found out a couple of years ago that my dad's great-grandmother was born in here in the 1830s, and gradually traced her family back, always in Winchcombe, to c.1649 (and the family name is in the registers in the 1530s but sadly the Civil War scuppered my chances of finding the link back to these).

I visited the town to see if I could find any mention of my family in the graveyard or in the records of the local Folk and Police Museum - and lo and behold, I found two or three gravestones, one of a direct ancestor, and several references to the family's musical ability in the museum. I also realised that Winchcombe is beautiful little place, and I've returned several times since my first visit.

Just a couple of miles outside the town to the north-east is Hailes Abbey, the ruins of a 13th century Cistercian Abbey, and Hailes Church (pictured), a Norman church known for its medieval wall paintings.

A couple of miles to the south of Winchcombe is Belas Knap, a Neolithic chambered long barrow.

• Last visit to Winchcombe: Apr 2011
  • Intro Updated May 30, 2015

illumina Visits Here Frequently!

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page”

Badges & Stats in Winchcombe

Have you been to Winchcombe?

Photos in Winchcombe