"Ciudad Rodrigo - The City that faced Napoleon" Ciudad-Rodrigo by illumina
Ciudad-Rodrigo Travel Guide: 24 reviews and 57 photos
In western Salamanca, in the border area, on a rocky escarpment overlooking a natural ford of the river Agueda, rises the city of Ciudad Rodrigo. Its past dates back to prehistoric times, as witnessed by numerous relics such as the Idol of Ciudad Rodrigo, found in its subsoil, dating from the Bronze Age, or the boar from the Iron Age located near the Castle.
Roman culture left many remains of its colonisation, like the columns and the Augustan tombstone which adorn the access to the town centre. In 1100 the Count Rodrigo Gonzalez Giron repopulated and named the city, and beginning construction of the Cathedral and its ramparts. But it was not until the fifteenth and sixteenth centuries when the city reached its full glory by erecting most of its monasteries, temples, palaces and manors.
Proximity to the border caused their participation in most of the battles that have faced Spain and Portugal. These ups and downs favoured its gradual fortification, which gave it a prominent role in the War of Independence, suffering continual siege by both parties. This confrontation provoked serious destruction in the city, which can be seen even today in many buildings and architectural elements of the town centre.
Declared a Historical Heritage Site in 1944, Ciudad Rodrigo established itself as an emerging urban centre in the western peninsula, near the international highway E-80, projecting the future based on a consolidated relationship with Portugal.
We arrived in Ciudad Rodrigo to find the city celebrating the bicentenial of the Siege of Ciudad Rodrigo of 1810.
Back to Portugal, to Lamego.
illumina's Related Pages
Ciudad-Rodrigo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ciudad Rodrigo"
- "Frontier town with 12th century walls"
- "Ciudad Rodrigo"
- "Pleasant stop in my way to Portugal"
- "Ciudad Rodrigo - The City that faced Napoleon"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ciudad-Rodrigo
- Hotels in Ciudad-Rodrigo
- Transportation in Ciudad-Rodrigo
- Shopping in Ciudad-Rodrigo
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ciudad-Rodrigo
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (40)
Have you been to Ciudad-Rodrigo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ciudad-Rodrigo
- Posted in Travel Union Territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands Forum "Re: Andaman in September"
- updated a Ciudad-Rodrigo Travel Page "Ciudad Rodrigo - The City that faced Napoleon"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Ciudad Rodrigo - The City that faced Napoleon"
Photos in Ciudad-RodrigoSee All Photos (3)
Top 10 Pages
- Copenhagen Intro, 76 reviews, 133 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rome Intro, 53 reviews, 84 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hampi Intro, 49 reviews, 85 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Khajuraho Intro, 47 reviews, 85 photos
- Varanasi Intro, 44 reviews, 77 photos
- Paris Intro, 46 reviews, 61 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Delhi Intro, 38 reviews, 61 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Butrint Intro, 40 reviews, 50 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Agra Intro, 32 reviews, 52 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albania Intro, 49 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue