"The Theban Necropolis" Thebes by illumina
Thebes Travel Guide: 28 reviews and 106 photos
Thebes was the capital of Egypt during the New Kingdom period, and was the city of the god Amun-Re. It had various names in Egyptian during different periods, such as Waset (The Foremost), Niwt "(The) City" and Niwt-rst "(The) Southern City". It was named 'Thebai' by the Greeks, who also knew it as Diospolis Megale, which became Diospolis Magna to the Romans.
The Nile divides Thebes into two halfs, the East bank and the West bank. The East bank has now become the city of Luxor, with the temple of Karnak just outside, while the west bank is famous for the mortuary temples and necropoles which include the Valley of the Kings.
It is perfectly possible and easy to take the local ferry across the Nile from Luxor to the West bank. Use the map in... more travel advice
illumina's Related Pages
Thebes Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "West Thebes-West bank of the Nile in Luxor"
- "Ancient Thebes"
- "The Theban Necropolis"
- ".. namamu, terpahat pada dinding-dinding batu .."
- "The Lush & Fertile West Bank..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Thebes
- Transportation in Thebes
- Shopping in Thebes
- Warnings and Dangers in Thebes
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Thebes
- 2 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (23)
Have you been to Thebes?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Thebes
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hampi Intro, 49 reviews, 85 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Khajuraho Intro, 47 reviews, 85 photos
- Varanasi Intro, 44 reviews, 77 photos
- Rome Intro, 49 reviews, 69 photos
- Paris Intro, 45 reviews, 61 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Delhi Intro, 38 reviews, 61 photos
- Copenhagen Intro, 44 reviews, 47 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Butrint Intro, 40 reviews, 50 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Agra Intro, 32 reviews, 52 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albania Intro, 49 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue