Istanbul Hotel Tips by illumina
Istanbul Hotels: 83,589 reviews and 885 photos
We stayed in the hostel part of this establishment, and it was perfectly adequate. We payed $13 per person per night, booking through Hostelworld - which was quite a bit cheaper than paying the prices advertised at reception. They were undergoing some renovation work at the time we were there, but that should be done now. Reception was fairly friendly and helpful, there was internet access for a small fee in the bar/breakfast room, and a tourist information on the first floor. A small supermarket just up the road was very useful, and the location can't really be bettered!
Address: Divanyolu Caddesi Peykhane Sokak 29 Cemberlitas, Istanbul, 34130, Turkey
Comparison: less expensive than average
Directions: Turn down the street opposite the Cemberlitas baths, and it's past a few restaurants on the left.
Phone: 90 2125172727
Price: less than US$20
Terbiyik sokak - the street from the balcony
This charming hotel is a restored 19th century building, no more than 5 minutes walk from the Blue Mosque and Hagia Sophia. All of the rooms have names rather than numbers, after different Turkish poems (hence the name of the hotel) with the appropriate poem hung in the room (in Turkish and English) for you to read.
The hotel has a 24 hour reception desk, and they are always very helpful. There is also a computer with internet access in the reception. Our room was rather small, but had everything needed, and the en-suite shower-room was satisfactory.
The buffet breakfast was good, plenty of bread, honey, cheese, ham, yoghurt and fruit (I think there was cereal available too) and tea, coffee and juice. Breakfast is served downstairs in a little cellar, but you can also take it outside and sit on the terrace. There's a little lounge just off the patio, with wine and other drinks for sale.
Unique Qualities: Upstairs from reception is a roof terrace with superb views; it's a lovely place to relax and take in the city, especially at sunset.
I was in room 'Street':
Streets have their seasons too.
Some streets you walk in spring,
the time of judas - trees and nigtingales.
Some ara for winter - passage;
a snow - laden pine branch
bows courteously to greet you.
Some are hilly,
when you climb, the north wind 's at your back,
and on a Ramazan evening
you gaze and gaze at dusty clusters of unripe grapes.
There are wide straight streets.
Sheltering between their walls
horse - chestnut trees grow high along both sides.
Asphalt roads give back their warmth to the sun
and stony roads gather rainwater in their bosoms.
There are streets where tar
drips from the stovepipes on the sidewalk.
Lowers frequent the until streets
and when the south wind blows they stray
on roads going down to the sea.
The street of planetrees is finest in autumn.
In unpaved streets that delight children,
birds who've forgotten how to fly strut side by side.
There are narrow streets, rundown and shadowy.
In spring - cleaning season the houses overflow,
and on festival mornings
a kilim and a pot of basil sometimes embrace.
A street without seasons
where I've never strayed yet,
in a tiny corner of the world
is waiting inpatiently for me.
Address: AKBIVIK CAD TERBIYIK SOK NO 16, Istanbul, TU 34400
Comparison: about average
More Reviews (13)
illumina's Related Pages
Istanbul Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "STROLLING THROUGH ISTANBUL"
- "The only city in the world build in 2 continents"
- "Istanbul not/and Constantinople"
- "istanbul tips"
- "My Beloved Istanbul"
- "Beauty, Culture, & History - All In One Place!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Istanbul
- Hotels in Istanbul
- Transportation in Istanbul
- Nightlife in Istanbul
- Restaurants in Istanbul
- Shopping in Istanbul
- Warnings and Dangers in Istanbul
- See All...
Explore the World
- Aggie Grey's Lagoon, Beach Resort & Spa
- Maidens Hotel New Delhi
- Mount Wolseley Hotel Spa & Country Club Dublin
- Hotel Nikko Saipan
- Suburban Extended Stay Albany Nw
- Ravensbury Hotel
- The Regent Grand
- Crystal Cove Beach Cottages
- Radisson Blu Hotel Amsterdam Airport
- Abercorn House
- Ksar Bicha
- Hotel Macia Gran Via
- Sokos Hotel Klaus Kurki
Badges & Stats in Istanbul
- 15 Reviews
- 28 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (23)
Have you been to Istanbul?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Istanbul
- Posted in Travel India Forum "Re: 4 months backpacking in India"
- Wrote a Review Nicest restaurant in Sultanahmet in Istanbul Restaurants
- Uploaded a Photo to "Nicest restaurant in Sultanahmet"
- Commented on one of Arkeolog's Istanbul travel pages
- updated a Istanbul Travel Page "Istanbul - Queen of Cities"
Read real reviews about Istanbul Hotels!
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hampi Intro, 49 reviews, 85 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Khajuraho Intro, 47 reviews, 85 photos
- Varanasi Intro, 44 reviews, 77 photos
- Rome Intro, 49 reviews, 69 photos
- Paris Intro, 45 reviews, 61 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Delhi Intro, 38 reviews, 61 photos
- Copenhagen Intro, 44 reviews, 47 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Butrint Intro, 40 reviews, 50 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Agra Intro, 32 reviews, 52 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albania Intro, 49 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (73)
Latest Istanbul hotel reviews
- Sirkeci Park Hotel
- 83 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 19, 2013
- Emexotel Istanbul
- 3 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 31, 2013
- Taksim Gonen
- 75 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 8, 2013
- Elite World Hotel
- 147 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 12, 2013
- Emma Saray Boutique Hotel
- 19 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 11, 2013
- LaresPark Hotel
- 120 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 19, 2013
- Gulhane Park Hotel
- 22 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 19, 2013
- Kariye Hotel
- 16 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 6, 2013
- Allstar Suadiye Hotel
- 2 Reviews & Opinions
- Bahaus Guesthouse
- 84 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 11, 2013
- Riva Hotel
- 38 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 14, 2013
- Allstar Arcadia Hotel
- 61 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 4, 2013
- Topkapi Palace- 305 Reviews, 709 Photos
- Grand Bazaar- 108 Reviews, 186 Photos
- Agia Sophia - Ayasofya- 299 Reviews, 707 Photos
- Blue Mosque - Sultanahmet- 246 Reviews, 539 Photos
- Bosphorus River- 109 Reviews, 192 Photos
- Galata Tower- 100 Reviews, 223 Photos
- Taksim Square- 34 Reviews, 69 Photos
- Basilica Cistern - Yerebatan Saray- 104 Reviews, 211 Photos
- Princes Islands- 29 Reviews, 52 Photos
- Dolmabahce Palace- 105 Reviews, 242 Photos
See All Istanbul Things to Do