"Holi on the Hooghly!" Kolkata (Calcutta) by illumina
Kolkata (Calcutta) Travel Guide: 655 reviews and 2,227 photos
Kolkata, the capital of West Bengal, is situated on the east bank of the Hooghly River, and is one of the most populous cities in the world. It was the site of a trading post of the English East India Company from 1690, of which Job Charnock is generally believed to be the founder, and, as Calcutta, it became the capital of the British Raj until 1911/12.
Despite being a vast city and almost as populous as Delhi, Kolkata has a more relaxed feeling to it, and does feel more like a European city which I suppose is due to it's long history under British rule. It seemed very prosperous and cultured, and I really enjoyed my stay here.
We were lucky enough to be in Calcutta for Holi, which is a spring festival taking place on the full moon in either late February or March. Bonfires are lit, music played and everyone goes around throwing coloured powder and water over each other.
After an enjoyable week in Calcutta, we boarded the ferry for the 4 day voyage to the Andaman Islands
The Indian Botanical Garden, Howrah, commonly known as Calcutta Botanical Gardens, is situated in Shibpor, Howrah,... more travel advice
According to legend, the goddess Sati, daughter of Daksha, married the god Shiva against her father's will. Daksha... more travel advice
illumina's Related Pages
Kolkata (Calcutta) Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "KOLKATA- REVISITED."
- "Calcutta(Kolkata) - The Dream City"
- "Kolkata - Re-Visited"
- "The city that taught me to love"
- "Calcutta, city of contrasts"
- "Colonial Calcutta"
- "A City of Paradoxes"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kolkata (Calcutta)
- Hotels in Kolkata (Calcutta)
- Transportation in Kolkata (Calcutta)
- Nightlife in Kolkata (Calcutta)
- Restaurants in Kolkata (Calcutta)
- Shopping in Kolkata (Calcutta)
- Warnings and Dangers in Kolkata (Calcutta)
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kolkata (Calcutta)
- 22 Reviews
- 36 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (25)
Have you been to Kolkata (Calcutta)?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kolkata (Calcutta)
- Posted in Travel Goa Forum "Re: Malaria Tabs"
- Wrote a Review Calcutta Botanical Gardens in Kolkata (Calcutta) Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Calcutta Botanical Gardens"
- updated a Kolkata (Calcutta) Travel Page "Holi on the Hooghly!"
- Commented on one of goutammitra's Kolkata (Calcutta) travel pages
Photos in Kolkata (Calcutta)See All Photos (36)
Top 10 Pages
- Copenhagen Intro, 76 reviews, 133 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rome Intro, 53 reviews, 84 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hampi Intro, 49 reviews, 85 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Khajuraho Intro, 47 reviews, 85 photos
- Varanasi Intro, 44 reviews, 77 photos
- Paris Intro, 45 reviews, 61 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Delhi Intro, 38 reviews, 61 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Butrint Intro, 40 reviews, 50 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Agra Intro, 32 reviews, 52 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albania Intro, 49 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue