"The Marvellous Ruins of Hampi" Top 5 Page for this destination Hampi by illumina

Hampi Travel Guide: 296 reviews and 1,188 photos

Hampi is a village close to Hospet in the north of the state of Karnataka. It is famous for being situated amongst the ruins of Vijayanagara, the former capital of the last great Hindu Kingdom of the same name. Its fabulously rich princes built Dravidian temples and palaces which won the admiration of travellers between the 14th and 16th centuries. Conquered by the Deccan Muslim confederacy in 1565, the city was pillaged over a period of six months before being abandoned. The ruins have been listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site since 1986.

The whole area surrounding Hampi is interesting geologically, with large boulders and weather-carved granite hills abounding.

Hampi was among my favourite places in India - in fact I liked it so much I insisted we stay longer than we'd planned! I probably could have spent weeks there. We were particularly lucky to arrive the day before Hampi's Virupaksha Car Festival, which was a wonderful experience.

After a week in Hampi we returned to Goa, to Panaji

• Last visit to Hampi: Apr 2009
  • Intro Updated Dec 21, 2010

illumina

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page”

Badges & Stats in Hampi