"The Marvellous Ruins of Hampi" Top 5 Page for this destination Hampi by illumina
Hampi Travel Guide: 279 reviews and 1,127 photos
Hampi is a village close to Hospet in the north of the state of Karnataka. It is famous for being situated amongst the ruins of Vijayanagara, the former capital of the last great Hindu Kingdom of the same name. Its fabulously rich princes built Dravidian temples and palaces which won the admiration of travellers between the 14th and 16th centuries. Conquered by the Deccan Muslim confederacy in 1565, the city was pillaged over a period of six months before being abandoned. The ruins have been listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site since 1986.
The whole area surrounding Hampi is interesting geologically, with large boulders and weather-carved granite hills abounding.
Hampi was among my favourite places in India - in fact I liked it so much I insisted we stay longer than we'd planned! I probably could have spent weeks there. We were particularly lucky to arrive the day before Hampi's Virupaksha Car Festival, which was a wonderful experience.
On the way to the Mango Tree restaurant, some local children pointed out these rock paintings to us. I've read elsewhere... more travel advice
This magnificent 15th century, domed and long rectangular structure, built in the Indo-Islamic style of architecture, is... more travel advice
illumina's Related Pages
Hampi Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Hampi - natural beauty and ruins"
- "HAMPI IN KARNATAKA"
- "On the Rocks-At Hampi!"
- "The Marvellous Ruins of Hampi"
- "Past Preserved"
- "Hampi and Vijayanagar"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hampi
- Hotels in Hampi
- Transportation in Hampi
- Nightlife in Hampi
- Restaurants in Hampi
- Shopping in Hampi
- Warnings and Dangers in Hampi
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Hampi
- 49 Reviews
- 85 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (23)
Have you been to Hampi?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hampi
Photos in HampiSee All Photos (85)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hampi Intro, 49 reviews, 85 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Khajuraho Intro, 47 reviews, 85 photos
- Varanasi Intro, 44 reviews, 77 photos
- Rome Intro, 49 reviews, 69 photos
- Paris Intro, 45 reviews, 61 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Delhi Intro, 38 reviews, 61 photos
- Copenhagen Intro, 44 reviews, 47 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Butrint Intro, 40 reviews, 50 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Agra Intro, 32 reviews, 52 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albania Intro, 49 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue