"Port Blair - Capital of the Andaman Islands" Top 5 Page for this destination Port Blair by illumina
Port Blair Travel Guide: 48 reviews and 147 photos
Port Blair is the capital of the Andaman and Nicobar Islands, and lies on the east coast of South Andaman Island. It has a ferry port for connections to Kolkata, Chennai and the other islands in the group, and a small airport with flights to Kolkata and Chennai.
It was first established in 1789 as a penal colony on Chatham Island (just to the north of the present town), and was named Port Blair after Lieutenant Archibald Blair of the British East India Company. However after two years the colony moved to North Andaman Island where it settled at Port Cornwallis, and it ceased to operate in 1796 due to disease and death.
Port Blair was re-established in 1857, after the Mutiny/War of Independance made the housing of large numbers of political prisoners a necessity. Originally on Viper Island (named for Blair's ship The Viper), an penal establishment was then set up on Ross Island in the 1860s, and this became the Administrative Headquarters for the Andaman and Nicobar Islands until an earthquake in 1941.
Back to the Andaman Islands
After almost a century of ruling the islands of Andaman and Nicobar from this tiny 'island citadel' the settlers were... more travel advice
This is the graveyard of the British people stationed on Ross during it's heyday. Much like the graveyard in Calcutta,... more travel advice
illumina's Related Pages
Port Blair Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Port Blair - Capital of the Andaman Islands"
- "The Ocean Never Leaves You"
- "Port Blair, Andaman and Nicobar"
- "Port Blair India"
- "page coming soon"
- "Andaman Beach Resort Diving"
- "Port Blair"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Port Blair
- Hotels in Port Blair
- Transportation in Port Blair
- Restaurants in Port Blair
- Warnings and Dangers in Port Blair
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Port Blair
- 13 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (25)
Have you been to Port Blair?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Port Blair
- Posted in Travel Swindon Forum "Re: Day Trips from Swindon"
- Commented on one of broadcalling's Port Blair travel pages
- Wrote a Review Ross Island - after the British in Port Blair Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Ross Island - after the British"
- updated a Port Blair Travel Page "Port Blair - Capital of the Andaman Islands"
Photos in Port BlairSee All Photos (23)
Top 10 Pages
- Rome Intro, 53 reviews, 84 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hampi Intro, 49 reviews, 85 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Khajuraho Intro, 47 reviews, 85 photos
- Varanasi Intro, 44 reviews, 77 photos
- Paris Intro, 45 reviews, 61 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Delhi Intro, 38 reviews, 61 photos
- Copenhagen Intro, 46 reviews, 47 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Butrint Intro, 40 reviews, 50 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Agra Intro, 32 reviews, 52 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albania Intro, 49 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue