Pecs Off The Beaten Path Tips by pecsihornet Top 5 Page for this destination
Pecs Off The Beaten Path: 30 reviews and 46 photos
Around Pecs, in Ormánság region you can visit several nice villages and their Calvinist churches. They are famous for itheir painted ceiling of wooden panels, the painted choirs and the pulpits. They are all examples of the folk art, typical of the Ormánság region.
Villány region is one of Hungary's first-class red-wine producing areas. The local red wines are usually full-bodied to heavy; they can be characterized by high alcohol and tannin content. Their specific, intensive bouquet makes them easily recognizable. The Portugais will age during one year, while the wines of bigger body appear in the market only after a few years of aging.
You can reach Villany by train from Pécs which takes about 50 minutes.
The gate with its entrance, bastion and arcade looks like a small fortress. The edifice was meant to be a symbolic doorway to the Mecsek Hills, it was therefore called Mecsek Gate. This edifice is one of the most beautiful symbols of the Mecsek.
Zsongor-kõ is a beetling cliff of red sandstone on the southern side of mountain Jakab-hegy. We get a beautiful view of Délbaranyai-plain from the cliff. Its stairs were curved in 1892, and bars were paced at the same time. This natural look-out tower lies 540 m high. It is the most beautiful site of Mecsek, we can observe the plain below us from above. On the edge of the horizon ridges of mountain Villány are rising.
More Reviews (14)
pecsihornet's Related Pages
Pecs Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "city at foot of Mecsek hill and Baranya capital"
- "A true, historic, European city!"
- " Pécs, my beautiful home town "
- "The Turkish South"
- "Pécs European Capital of Culture 2010"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Pecs
- Hotels in Pecs
- Transportation in Pecs
- Nightlife in Pecs
- Restaurants in Pecs
- Shopping in Pecs
- Warnings and Dangers in Pecs
- See All...
Explore the World
- Petty Harbour Hotels
- Chianciano Terme Hotels
- Marianna Hotels
- Tegucigalpa Hotels
- Newton Abbot
- Umm ar Rasas
- Newcastle upon Tyne Off The Beaten Path
- Siem Reap Off The Beaten Path
- North Georgia Mountains & Waterfalls
- Beyond the Highway
- Aix-en-Provence Off The Beaten Path
- Ayr Off The Beaten Path
- Bishops Stortford Off The Beaten Path
- Grand Canyon Off The Beaten Path
- Brisbane Off The Beaten Path
- Prenzlauer Berg
- Virginia City
- Outside Greater Toronto area
Badges & Stats in Pecs
- 18 Reviews
- 21 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Pecs?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pecs
- updated a Pecs Travel Page " Pécs, my beautiful home town "
- Uploaded a Photo to "Calvinist churches with painted ceilings"
- Wrote a Review Calvinist churches with painted ceilings in Pecs Off The Beaten Path
- Posted in Travel Cortona Forum "Car rental and trips from Cortona"
- Commented on one of popi3's Pecs travel pages
Photos in PecsSee All Photos (21)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pecs Intro, 18 reviews, 21 photos
- Palermo Intro, 11 reviews, 26 photos
- Sorrento Intro, 7 reviews, 11 photos
- Prague Intro, 6 reviews, 9 photos
- Algarve Intro, 6 reviews, 7 photos
- Lisbon Intro, 4 reviews, 5 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Balaton Intro, 4 reviews, 5 photos
- Velence Intro, 3 reviews, 4 photos
- Santorini Island Intro, 1 review, 5 photos
- Manarola Intro, 2 reviews, 4 photos