"State of Queensland, Gulf Savannah" State of Queensland by pedroswift
State of Queensland Travel Guide: 8,124 reviews and 20,165 photos
The Queensland section of this Out Back Australian region stretches from the Great Dividing Range in the east to the Northern Territory border in the west & is mainly vast plain lands whose river systems flow into the Gulf of Carpentaria, that large indentation in the northern coastline west of Cape York.
This is big sky country with cattle stations (ranches) bigger than some European countries. The cowboys don't ride horses: they round up cattle in helicopters.This is a region where townships are separated by distances of 100 kilometres plus.
This unique region of Australia attracts the "more adventurous type traveler" looking for a very different Oz experience. "Self reliance" is big in this region where you may not meet another traveler on the road for hours. Read up on bush survival before venturing too far off the beaten track.
Don't expect big cities, flash accommodation, night clubs and droves of tourists. Don't expect a gas pump on every corner.
Do expect a friendly welcome from the locals, some interesting natural wonders, history, great fishing and hunting, mineral fossicking and if you are a train buff two train trips that attract visitors from around the world.
Please avoid the area during the "wet season". Please read the Warnings in the tips below. Check road conditions before you leave. link to Australian Road Conditions site
The eastern Gulf Region is serviced by sealed roads from Cairns on the coast to Karumba on the Gulf, 790 kilometres away. The trip is not without its hazards so is not for the fainthearted. However, it does not require a four wheel drive vehicle as long as one uses the bitumen roads in dry weather. In fact, Karumba is the only coastal community on the southern Gulf accessible by normal vehicles.
Any Aussie recreational fisherperson worth his/her salt yearns to catch a barramundi. This is the king of sportsfish in Australia. Also a very fine table fish, it is the focus of both recreational and commercial fishing in the Gulf. Much of the tourist infrastructure in Karumba caters for the visitor hoping to catch a barra.
On this trip you'll pass through Mt Surprise, Georgetown, Croydon and Normanton. There's a pub in each: several in Normanton.
If a long trip into the Gulf proper is not your bag, go see the world's best preserved Volcanic Lava Tubes. An absolute "must see" for anyone remotely interested in geology, wild life, botany. It's all here. Fascinating geological volcanic formations which provide an ecosystem for unusual tropical plant and animal life.
Situated on the eastern edge of the Gulf Savanna land 275 km south west of Cairns, the area is served by the Undara Lodge which provide guided tours of the features. Other commercial operators do tours but the Lodge is run by the original developers of the area. It is mandatory to have guides to see the tubes. Thanks to careful management the Lava Tubes are in pristine condition and have not been despoiled by tourists as has happened in Italy and Hawaii.
- Pros:Outback touring in 2 wheel drive car
- Cons:Long distances require extra travel time
- In a nutshell:A taste of the true "outback" Oz
Be aware that two thirds of Australia's Railway road level crossings have no warning lights or boom gates. A spate of... more travel advice
A little mentioned danger (not to you) but to Native Savannah Lands is the spread of Noxious Weeds by vehicles... more travel advice
Written Jun 7, 2007
Written Feb 26, 2010
Culinary Delights Sourced from Queensland
pedroswift's Related Pages
State of Queensland Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Queensland the Place to Be"
- "♫ HERE COMES THE SUN! ♫ ♫"
- "The Sunshine State"
- "The State of Queensland"
- "AMBERLEY AIR SHOW 2008"
- "Australia Zoo - Aussie animals"
- See All...
- Things to Do in State of Queensland
- Hotels in State of Queensland
- Transportation in State of Queensland
- Nightlife in State of Queensland
- Restaurants in State of Queensland
- Shopping in State of Queensland
- Warnings and Dangers in State of Queensland
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in State of Queensland
- 146 Reviews
- 428 Photos
- 94 Forum posts
- 29 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (21)
Have you been to State of Queensland?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in State of Queensland
Videos in State of QueenslandSee All Videos (3)
Top 10 Pages
- Brisbane Intro, 38 reviews, 96 photos, 7 travelogues
- France Intro, 28 reviews, 80 photos, 8 travelogues
- Bourgogne Intro, 7 reviews, 64 photos, 10 travelogues
- Australia Intro, 13 reviews, 36 photos, 9 travelogues
- Fraser Island Intro, 8 reviews, 37 photos, 2 travelogues
- State of Queensland Intro, 21 reviews, 22 photos, 2 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 14 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mooloolaba Intro, 7 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Caloundra Intro, 9 reviews, 28 photos
- Villers-Bretonneux Intro, 9 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
Top State of Queensland hotels
- Gold Coast Hotels
- 846 Reviews - 1810 Photos
- Port Douglas Hotels
- 227 Reviews - 586 Photos
- Brisbane Hotels
- 1600 Reviews - 3449 Photos
- Cairns Hotels
- 863 Reviews - 2195 Photos
- Surfers Paradise Hotels
- 171 Reviews - 346 Photos
- Mackay Hotels
- 74 Reviews - 124 Photos
- Hamilton Island Hotels
- 129 Reviews - 401 Photos
- Caloundra Hotels
- 52 Reviews - 107 Photos
- Airlie Beach Hotels
- 185 Reviews - 726 Photos
- Rockhampton Hotels
- 36 Reviews - 152 Photos
- Magnetic Island Hotels
- 79 Reviews - 120 Photos
- Townsville Hotels
- 81 Reviews - 149 Photos
- Hayman Island Hotels
- 5 Reviews - 5 Photos
- Mooloolaba Hotels
- 99 Reviews - 384 Photos
- Hervey Bay Hotels
- 128 Reviews - 215 Photos