Australia Warnings Or Dangers Tips by pedroswift
Australia Warnings and Dangers: 228 reviews and 203 photos
THE DEADLY JELLYFISH
Do you know that the BOX JELLYFISH (also known as the sea wasp) has been responsible for more deaths in Australia than snakes, sharks and saltwater crocodiles?
Do you know that the IRUKANDJI JELLYFISH has venom 100 times more potent than a cobra snake and that its venom is more deadly than the Box Jellyfish? Has caused two confirmed deaths in recent years.
Summer time between October and April is the worst time for both these potentially deadly jellyfish.
The BOX JELLYFISH is found in northern Australia (Queensland, Northern Territory and Western Australia)
The IRUKANDJI is found in Queensland mainly in the north but in recent years as far south as Hervey Bay (Western beaches and inlets on Fraser Island especially).
To prevent being stung:-
best way stay out of the water
Use the hotel or local council swimming pool
Wear a "stinger suit" which covers most of you body. They are not a 100 percent guarantee of no stings 'cause usually there is no face cover. There have been reported cases of people diving into the water and suffering stings to the face.
Treatment: flush area with vinegar - take victim to hospital as soon as possible!
read more on Qld government web page and on my Cairns intro page
Gum trees drop some very large branches
Camping in Australia is not without its dangers.
I've just cleaned up the mess from a large branch, diameter 600mm at its base and about 8 metres long which fell from a huge gum tree at my local archery club car park. Had it hit someone or something it could have had dire consequences. It reminded me of a recent camping death of a young man near Adelaide caused by a gum tree dropping a branch and lessons learnt when Scouting for Boys during my younger years. Camping under big trees is a no no.
Mosquito-borne disease which can be fatal. At best - debilitating persistent symptoms.
Multiple cases reported every summer in Tropical Australia.
Mosquito nets, insect repellent a must if you intend visiting the northern regions of Australia in our Summer time.
Don't let the mossies bite you!!!!!!
Read more on my Cairns Intro Page.
More Reviews (9)
- See All Language Decode: "There You Go!"
- See All ABSOLUTE BEACH FRONT DINING & DRINKING
- DRIVING ON AUSTRALIAN ROADS
pedroswift's Related Pages
Australia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Down Under"
- "Australia - you're standing in it"
- "♫ I COME FROM A LAND DOWN-UNDER ♫"
- "AUSTRALIA PAGE IS DEDICATED TO THE ANCIENTS...."
- "Down Under Roundtrip"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Australia
- Hotels in Australia
- Transportation in Australia
- Nightlife in Australia
- Restaurants in Australia
- Shopping in Australia
- Warnings and Dangers in Australia
- See All...
Explore the World
- Fort Lauderdale Warnings and Dangers
- Ad Dammam Warnings and Dangers
- Baku Warnings and Dangers
- Makassar Warnings and Dangers
- West Coast Warnings and Dangers
- West Palm Beach Warnings and Dangers
- Debrecen Warnings and Dangers
- Islamabad Warnings and Dangers
- Islamorada Warnings and Dangers
- Almería Warnings and Dangers
- Time Shares
Badges & Stats in Australia
- 205 Reviews
- 611 Photos
- 256 Forum posts
- 49 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (21)
Have you been to Australia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Australia
Videos in AustraliaSee All Videos (3)
Top 10 Pages
- Brisbane Intro, 38 reviews, 96 photos, 7 travelogues
- France Intro, 28 reviews, 80 photos, 8 travelogues
- Bourgogne Intro, 7 reviews, 63 photos, 10 travelogues
- Australia Intro, 13 reviews, 35 photos, 9 travelogues
- Fraser Island Intro, 8 reviews, 37 photos, 2 travelogues
- State of Queensland Intro, 21 reviews, 22 photos, 2 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 14 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mooloolaba Intro, 7 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Caloundra Intro, 9 reviews, 28 photos
- Villers-Bretonneux Intro, 8 reviews, 24 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (17)
Top Australia hotels
- Melbourne Hotels
- 3341 Reviews - 7498 Photos
- Perth Hotels
- 2280 Reviews - 4796 Photos
- Sydney Hotels
- 5782 Reviews - 13449 Photos
- Gold Coast Hotels
- 845 Reviews - 1806 Photos
- Adelaide Hotels
- 972 Reviews - 2107 Photos
- Canberra Hotels
- 847 Reviews - 2096 Photos
- Brisbane Hotels
- 1596 Reviews - 3435 Photos
- Surfers Paradise Hotels
- 171 Reviews - 346 Photos
- Darwin Hotels
- 685 Reviews - 2049 Photos
- Port Douglas Hotels
- 227 Reviews - 586 Photos
- Cairns Hotels
- 863 Reviews - 2188 Photos
- Mackay Hotels
- 74 Reviews - 124 Photos
- Geelong Hotels
- 316 Reviews - 662 Photos
- Hamilton Island Hotels
- 129 Reviews - 401 Photos
- Caloundra Hotels
- 52 Reviews - 107 Photos